Even if you don’t have a dedicated HR person within the company, if you employ staff you will need to look after your employees and internal communications to make sure the business runs smoothly.
Make it your resolution to focus on a few areas that could make all the difference in 2017.
Here’s some things to consider that could set you off to a better year:
Look at the successes, as well as challenges you faced in 2016:
- What could have gone better and what could be done to prevent issues happening again?
- What are you and your staff proud of?
- How can you harness the successes you’ve had and nurture further success?
- What policies are working, and which ones need evaluating?
- Are your company values being translated in everything you do?
- Are your salaries fair?
- Do you have a healthy and attractive company culture?
- Are your staff happy and fulfilled?
- Have you considered how good or bad your staff retention is?
Once you have evaluated you can look at making improvements:
Look ahead, be ready for what’s to come and build a better future
- Would it be a nice idea to meet with team leaders and staff to gain their feedback as well as ideas?
- Can you commit to staying on top of HR & recruitment news and monitoring trends in the sector?
- Have you considered implementing a plan for staff to take their holidays?
- Are there events to plan in and take advantage of (being a sponsor, having an exhibition stand or being involved in our own Talent 2017 skills festival for example)
- Do you have a polished and attractive sounding format for your job ads?
- Are you able to plan out your recruitment in advance and to a fixed budget?
- Do you know that you might struggle to recruit certain skills and do you have a plan to tackle these challenges?
- Can you plan in any training including for new staff inductions?
- Do you have a staff succession plan?
- Will you review your staff benefits and rewards?
We understand that it’s not always easy to get your head around HR, but don’t forget that we are here to help our Members where we can and offer advice, even if it means that we signpost you to the right expert you might need.
If you would like to know more about HR best practice then join the HR Digital Media group which meets regularly and has an upcoming event on 19th January.
Don’t want to miss being involved in Talent 2017 skills festival? Find out more here and watch out for news on the upcoming opportunity to have a stand at the festival’s Digital, Media & Tech Jobs Fair on 15th March 2017.
Need some advice in recruiting? Give us a call on 01273 692888 and we can give recruitment advice where possible including how to make your ad stand out on our Jobs Board.