amp (v): to excite, to intensify, to increase
What is The FuseBox Amp?
The FuseBox Amp is a pilot project with a goal of transforming the businesses and lives of six ambitious creative people. Could you be one of them?
Who is it for?
We don’t care about your background or how much experience you have. We are interested in the person you are today, and the impact you want to make in the future.
We are looking for people who have started creative business projects that are still at an early stage and have a need for support. Your project might be:
- a start-up,
- a new product or service in an existing business,
- a project to pivot a business from one business model to another.
It doesn’t have to be the perfect project… yet. But your idea does need to be interesting because we’re looking for people with projects that we feel excited about giving time, space and contacts to.
How does it work?
Over four weeks at The FuseBox from 27 August to 20 September we are piloting a radically different approach to supporting creative and digital businesses – helping you personally and professionally on the journey to realising your ambitions.
The support and other content will be tailored to the needs of the six participants who are selected. We have lined up some of Brighton’s most inspiring creative and digital mentors to work with you: successful entrepreneurs, artists and other experts in their fields. The mentors will share their stories, give you practical help and advice, and help you to grow personally throughout the process. You will also support each other, sharing your own unique talents and gifts.
What will you get?
Over the four weeks, we’ll help you in any way we can to get you to the point where your project is up and running and has all the support it needs.
You will also get:
- 24 hour access and use of The FuseBox space throughout the four weeks;
- access to some of the most inspiring people in Brighton’s creative and digital sector;
- a journey of personal growth;
- a high value network of new contacts and friends;
What does it cost?
The cost is £300 per person. Half payable at the start and half at the end. You will have a say in how your fees are spent to give you the most value possible.
We know that some people will find it hard to come up with this money. The mentors may be able to help you find a way to earn the fee during the four weeks, and we can also help you to apply to the government’s start-up loans scheme. So don’t be put off applying if you don’t have the money burning a hole in your pocket – we’ll have a conversation about it.
What’s required of you?
You must be over 18 years old (there’s no upper age limit) and able to commit to the schedule below as well as using The FuseBox as your base for work on your own project over the four weeks. You need to have a creative or digital business project to bring with you that you have responsibility for. You don’t have to be resident in Brighton, but you’ll need to be here (or commute) for the four weeks.
Most of all, we need you to come open-minded and ready to collaborate, with a belief that anything is possible. We also need you to commit to the four-week programme, The FuseBox space and your fellow participants. There will be activities planned for 2.5 days per week and the rest of your time you’ll use The FuseBox as your main base to work on your project and spend more time with the mentors.
It is possible to apply as a team. Each team member will need to submit their own application. The cost is per person, not per team.
What are the criteria?
We’re looking for:
- open-mindedness and a willingness to learn, be challenged and think differently
- people who want to share and give as well as receive support
- an ambition to make a big positive difference in the world
- people who show the most potential rather than those with the best project ideas
How to apply
- Submit the online application form.
- We will telephone everyone who fully completes the form for a short conversation of between 2 and 20 minutes.
- If you are shortlisted, we’ll invite you in for a fun workshop where you’ll get to meet some mentors and other candidates and have a chance to work together.
- The six places will be awarded the following day and everyone will be notified of the outcome.
What’s the schedule?
- 15 August: Closing date for applications
- 5 August – 19 August: Phone conversations with applicants
- 20 August: 10:00 – 1:30: Selection workshop
- 21 August: Announcement of the six participants
- 27 August – 20 September: The FuseBox Amp
You can email us (thefusebox at wiredsussex dot com) or call us on 01273 692888.
You’re also invited to a bring-your-own lunch event from 12:30 – 2:00 on Friday 2 August so that’s a chance to see the space and have a conversation about The FuseBox Amp.
Amp is a project of The FuseBox. And the purpose of The FuseBox is to radically rethink how people with initiatives (business or otherwise) can be supported in fulfilling their creative potential.
The FuseBox is part of ReCreate supported by: