About Red Setter
Red Setter is the PR and marketing partner to the world's most exciting design agencies. Based in central Brighton, our team of 20 PR professionals, journalists and senior marketers turn design agencies' work and expertise into editorial that journalists want to publish and decision-makers want to read.
Our clients are in London, New York, Stockholm, Amsterdam, San Francisco, Sydney and many places in between. They’re all creative design agencies, delivering services such as branding, packaging, motion design and digital to a wide range of sectors from FMCG to property, retail, professional services, leisure, travel, financial services, and public sector. They range from the smallest to the largest agencies, but they're all brilliant at what they do - we help them tell the world about it.
We know this sector, and are well known in it as the people to go to when an agency wants to grow its reputation or client base.
In just the past few months our clients have been featured in national newspapers such as The Guardian and The Times, business media like City AM and Management Today, consumer media like Stylist and Monocle, leading trade titles such as The Grocer, Harpers, and Property Week, and all our own sector press like Adweek, Design Week, The Drum, Campaign, It's Nice That, and Transform.
We lose few clients and win a steady stream of new ones through recommendation and referral. We've got a solid client base, a fantastic team, and a reputation as the people to speak to when you want to grow your agency - and now we need an Office Manager to join the team.
The Office Manager will be responsible for the smooth running of our office, making sure everything works as it should, and supporting the whole team in our work for clients.
There are three aspects to the role which the successful candidate will definitely need to deliver, and a fourth (book-keeping) that it would be great if they could.
1. Office Manager
- Maintain the condition, appearance and performance of the office, taking pride in our physical environment
- Manage relationships and activities of suppliers, including landlord, utilities providers, phone and internet providers, IT consultants, cleaners, recycling collection, handymen, etc
- Maintain supplies of all consumables, including stationery, print supplies, business cards, tea, coffee, fruit, milk, etc
- Oversee ICT: troubleshooting any hardware and/or software issues, co-ordinating external support where required, sourcing and maintaining equipment.
- Organise and manage all office and desk moves, and order all equipment needed for new joiners
- Conduct new joiner office inductions, welcoming them to the agency and making sure everyone knows where everything is
- Track employee holidays and sickness
- Act as Health & Safety Officer (training provided in this area, if required)
- Proactively look for ways to improve the performance and/or appearance of the office
- Answer telephone in a friendly and professional manner, redirecting calls appropriately
- Meet and greet everyone arriving at the office – colleagues, clients, suppliers, everyone - in a friendly, warm, professional and helpful way.
- Manage meeting room diary and host meetings, setting up the room, making drinks, ordering lunch, booking taxis, etc
- Organise regular social events, Christmas and Summer parties, and annual overseas trip away
- Buy cards and presents for staff birthdays and other special occasions
- Check colleagues’ emails when ill or on holiday to ensure no urgent issues missed
3. PA to MDs
- Manage diaries, organising meetings
- Arranging travel and accommodation for quarterly trips to NYC and other overseas trips as needed,
- Fielding phone calls
- Providing general support as needed
- Maintain the company’s books on Xero (experience desirable, but not essential as training can be given)
- Raise invoices
- Record payments
- Chase late payments
- Provide weekly debtor’s report to MD
- Collect, check and log all expenses and credit card payments
- Reconcile bank account weekly
- Deliver approved payroll figures to payroll providers, payslips to employees and net pay figures to FD
- File VAT returns
- Support FD and accountancy firm in production of annual accounts
- Provide assistance on an ad hoc basis to FD
Ideally you will have succeeded in a similar role elsewhere, but applications from a range of backgrounds are welcome, as this is a role as much about personality and capabilities as it is about technical experience - training can be given in areas such as health & safety and Xero.
You will be a friendly, happy, and upbeat person who makes everyone who arrives at our office welcome and glad to be there.
You will be a positive, resilient person with a can-do attitude who enjoys calmly sorting out practical problems.
You will be organised, efficient and proactive, anticipating issues and dealing with them before they arise.
You will have a good attention to detail, and will take pride in the office environment you create, and the financial records you maintain.
You will be strong with the written word, confident and capable with numbers, a good communicator and, while we don’t need you to be an IT consultant or programmer, we do need you to be highly competent with standard IT hardware and software.
You will be excited by the prospect of creatively making the office a better place to work.
You will be keen to learn and develop new skills.
You will be ready to pitch in and do whatever is needed to help our agency run smoothly and continue to grow.
Qualities we’re looking for:
Passionate about design: All our clients are design agencies and we love the work they create; if you don’t get excited by beautiful design, effective design, and the transformative potential of design then we’re probably not the right place for you
Fun: We only hire people we like, and we like positive, upbeat, people, who smile, and who find ways to make things work
Intelligent: we need someone who can think creatively, who is always coming up with brilliant new ideas for how we can do an even better job for our clients and how to make this an even more fun place to work
Hard-working: we’re looking for someone who is energetic and always wanting to deliver more
Literate: we’re an editorially-led agency, so we need you to be able to write well
Organised: The role is varied and you need to keep on top of a lot of information from a wide range of sources, so you need to be able to organise it all, never miss a deadline and make sure nothing gets forgotten
Keen to improve: At all levels of our organisation we are all working to improve our skills and knowledge so we can do a better job for our clients and for each other
Flexible: We’re always improving the way we work, so your role will develop and evolve
Self-starting: We want someone who will take the initiative and get things sorted out
Potential: We want someone who has the potential to grow beyond this role and to develop their career with Red Setter
What we offer
The annual salary is depending on experience.
Red Setter is a lovely place to work. We love being based in the heart of (sometimes) sunny Brighton, we have frequent social events – from after-work drinks on the beach to an annual overseas trip – Berlin in 2018, Madrid in 2019 - and there’s a fun, happy and friendly vibe in the office.
Aside from all this, we have fantastic clients. Our clients are without exception brilliant, lovely and fun people to work for, and we genuinely enjoy telling the world about them and their work.
Finally, there is scope for progression here. We continue to grow steadily, and this is creating exciting opportunities for the right people throughout the agency.