D3R was founded by developers and still over three quarters of our team are technical. We care about how our sites are built as much as how they look. Our developers work closely with our creative team, valuing and thriving on the great UX and Design work they do. We build things to last, we look after our clients, and we think long term.
This isn't a senior role so we don't expect you to know everything already. But we are looking for somebody who is strong on the fundamentals of our development day-to-day. For this position that means:
- You have a track record of getting things done and should be ready to show us some work you're proud of at interview.
- You feel at home in PHP 7+ and have experience of applying object-oriented principles to solve problems in an extensible and maintainable way.
- Composer is an essential tool for us in controlling both internal and external dependencies. You should be comfortable with it and willing to learn about its subtle mysteries.
- Working with git (and GitHub) is natural, if not instinctual, to you by now.
- You're enthusiastic and love learning about new web technologies and when to use them (and when not to).
- You want to work with others, learn from them, teach them new things, and succeed as a team.
- Talking to clients is something you are comfortable with or happy to learn. We don't have a project management layer so good communication skills are vital.
There is obviously a lot of other technology we use here and hopefully you'd like to learn about some of it. Even better, you might already be up to speed in some areas:
- MariaDB, or MySQL, or another SQL flavour. We think carefully about queries and designing sensible database schema.
- Unit testing is something we always encourage but we understand this can be hard to get experience with in some environments. If you've done it, automated it and embedded it into your workflow, you'll fit right in.
- Our front end stack varies but you will encounter jQuery, CSS preprocessors (we like SASS) and front-end build tools (we like Gulp.js) in your workflow.
- We are webperf nuts. We hope you are too but if not, expect to learn about how to measure and improve site speed.
- Our wider stack includes ElasticSearch, NGINX, Redis, AMQP. If these aren't yet old friends, be ready to learn about their powers and idiosyncrasies.
- We work a lot in eCommerce. It would be great if you have too and can show us some examples of where you've handled the scary end of actually taking people's money.
- Integrating with APIs is bread and butter for us. Tell us about payment gateways, booking engines, ERPs or anything else you've worked with.
- Lastly, a whole load of the above happens in Amazon Web Services. If you know your CloudFront from your CloudWatch that'll give you a bit of a head start.
Our studio is in Chichester and we are pretty flexible about start and end times.
We provide everyone with a MacBook Pro, breakfast and an employee perks scheme. We organise weekly team lunches here in Chichester and monthly gatherings with our sibling office in London.
You'll also get access to dental care, a pension, a cycle to work scheme and a Treehouse account for improving your skills.
You can see a (limited) sample of the kind of work we do in our portfolio but here are a few more hidden projects we've worked on:
- An engraving tool for Monica Vinader that allows users to customise jewellery with text and doodles using HTML5 Canvas.
- Point of sale software functionality for Loaf, utilising web technology and the existing e-commerce platform to handle in-store purchases.
- An iPad based system for Sipsmith's 100 Martinis events where customers choose and order cocktails from their table.
- A Bike Builder for Bespoke to visualise all your two wheeled dreams.
- A WebGL rendering engine to create beautiful 3D visualisations of cyclists' GPS tracks for Loopie.
- For boutique hotel specialist Mr & Mrs Smith, we built a complete booking and availability system for managing rooms, rates, offers, cancellation policies, invoicing, and accounting used by over 1000 of the greatest hotels from around the world.
If this sounds like you, apply below and come for a chat with us about the work you've been doing and where you want to head next.
D3R is an equal opportunities employer and actively welcomes applications from anyone, especially encouraging those from underrepresented groups in the web industry.