Events and Marketing Lead (18-month contract)
Brighton and the surrounding Sussex area is home to a thriving digital, media and technology sector. It’s a hub of digital excellence and of inspiration and innovation is one of the most successful in the UK, with an annual turnover significantly exceeding £1 billion.
Wired Sussex is an independent, not-for-profit organisation that exists to support this digital, media and tech community. We are a small and friendly team and, when we aren’t working from home because of a global pandemic, we’re based right around the corner from Brighton’s North Laine in a creative and collaborative innovation hub called The FuseBox.
Every day is different at Wired Sussex, with the opportunity to work on a wide variety of exciting and innovative projects and initiatives. A core element of our activity is to deliver a range of small to high-profile events designed to support the local digital cluster and those which inhabit it, as well as raise our sector’s profile on a local, national and international level.
To help us continue to succeed in this mission, we are looking for an Events and Marketing Lead to join our senior management team and lead on the strategy, planning and delivery of events and marketing across all functions of the business.
So, if you believe you would be a great fit for this role, we would love to hear from you!
Skills and experience
- Knowledge of the digital, media and tech sector
- Experience in a mid-senior events and marketing position, either in a similar hybrid role or over separate roles
- Experience managing and leading other team members
- Confident, affable and a natural at building rapport with others
- Organised and proactive with initiative and enthusiasm for learning
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines and can deliver to agreed budgets and timescales
Reporting directly to our Managing Director and COO and responsible for managing our newly appointed Digital Marketing Assistant, we’re looking for someone who can...
- Work closely with the senior management team to curate, deliver and market a programme of events content across all streams. Many of these events are required deliverables from successful project bids and sponsorship agreements so it’s important all events are delivered to agreed budgets and timescales.
- Develop formats and content for events activity including; identifying relevant audiences, researching, booking and briefing speakers or contributors and venues, and acting as a facilitator where required.
- Lead on the marketing strategy and publicity for each event, including writing content for our website, social media, Eventbrite, email reminders and follow up correspondence.
- Lead briefing and debriefing event meetings and post-event reports where appropriate and work with other team members to identify any gaps in plans and avoid potential pitfalls.
- Ensure all information and processes around events are well documented and continually refined and improved.
- Create and deliver robust and detailed digital marketing plans for projects or campaigns within the business and ensure they align with company strategies.
- Devise new and creative strategies for increasing growth and awareness in Wired Sussex and its services, driving online traffic to the main member website and Jobs site.
- Brief and manage relationships with external designers, photographers and videographers as and when required.
- Act as the brand guardian for Wired Sussex and its related sub-brands and be fully cognisant with the tone of voice.
- Build and foster online communities around all of our individual brands, celebrating and promoting members within them.
- Develop clear guidelines for how we use, develop and grow mailing lists within the business.
- Report on the successes, failures and learnings from all marketing activities within the business.
- Oversee the delivery and sign off on all company newsletters.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce and, as per the Skills and Talent Manifesto that we created with our community, we believe that anyone should be able to have a fulfilling career in the digital, media and tech sector.
We welcome applications from people with a disability or health condition, including those who would require additional support through the access to work scheme to perform their role.
Interested in applying to our Events and Marketing Lead position but curious about life at Wired Sussex and what we look for in new team members? Check out our latest blog post.
Please note, we are reviewing applications as they come in and may close this advert early if we find the right candidate.