We are looking for an exceptional designer with a passion for strategy games and history to join us in developing Total War. The focus of the role is on the real-time battle aspect of Total War, but also requires a good understanding of the turn-based campaign aspect and the interplay between them both.
You will develop and champion game features that provide immersive and engaging gameplay experiences, applying your expertise to designing both game systems and the content that leverages these systems to the greatest effect. Beyond conceptual and technical skills, you must have a strong game design intuition, the capacity to understand and iterate upon gameplay aesthetics and “feel”.
This is an excellent opportunity to join our talented and motivated design team working on the award-winning Total War series at our studio in Horsham, to become part of a world class development team working alongside experienced and passionate designers, and have the opportunity to develop your career whilst contributing to the creation of a genre-defining game.
As a Designer, you will be working closely with the Project Game Director and Design Director to take responsibility for and help develop specific areas of the game, focused on – but not limited to – Total War battles.
You will collaborate with the design team to create detailed feature designs, and work closely alongside developers from other disciplines in order to ensure that the features you are responsible for are developed to the highest standard, from initial concept to final release.
You will also clearly communicate regular updates to the relevant discipline teams – especially where your work directly impacts them - and must be proactive in communicating progress and solving problems.
- Games Industry experience with at least one shipped title
- An avid strategy gamer and a fan of the Total War series
- A passion for game design and a keen interest in games development overall
- Attention to detail and a passion for making quality products
- Ability to analyse gameplay, identify strengths and weaknesses, and recommend improvements
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; can communicate clearly and succinctly
- Experience using Excel
- Knowledge of and interest in history
- Modding experience – preferably Total War
- Have worked on strategy titles – RTS or 4X
- Have worked on design tools
- Experience of using metrics to improve design
- Good attitude towards complex problem solving
- Experience scripting in LUA
- Excellent academic background at degree level or above
- Experience working with animation-based systems in a shipped title
Currently Creative Assembly is working fully remotely and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation, with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. We will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants, and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support with a dedicated learning and development. We offer among other activities; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite confidential wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values. We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft. Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.
If this sounds like you, apply now.
Please mention that you found this role on the Wired Sussex Jobs site.