Software Developer - The Unit
Brighton and Hove
Closing date: 25/05/2017
The Unit is a strategy, design and technology company based in central Brighton. We work on exciting and innovative projects, from Internet of Things prototypes to substantial digital change programmes. Our clients include household names in international finance, global energy and bespoke travel.
So why work with The Unit?
We’re growing and we want you to grow with us. Your career and personal development is a key part of the deal. You’ll get an annual training budget to spend on things that really interest you and help you to flourish.
We’re all about creative thinking. You’ll take part in regular Innovation Days and knowledge sharing sessions, so we really get to know what you're passionate about. You’ll also get the chance to take these ideas to the next level with leading-edge projects and new technology.
We are team players; there are no lone wolves in our pack. You’ll be working collaboratively with talented, creative colleagues and interesting clients who we see as partners, not just customers.
We’re a friendly bunch and love getting out and about. Whether it’s beer Friday, birthdays, bouldering, bingo or one of our legendary company jollies, you’ll get to know everyone really quickly (over sharing is something we’re working on).
So, if you think we can put your talents to work, then please get in touch.
|Job Description: |
As a developer you will deliver robust and scalable technical software solutions to global brands. You'll be a key, contributing member on assigned projects and work in close proximity with the Technical Director, an allocated Senior Developer and other members of the production department to deliver exceptional quality products.
You'll also ensure that development best practices are applied for the duration of the project, from the initial discovery phase through to project handover. You'll be required to attend daily client facing meetings and stand-ups with collegues and contribute ideas to the design and development of fit-for-purpose software solutions.
The Unit is a fast-paced agency environment so you'll need to have strong problem-solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
|Skills Range: |
- Over a year of hands-on development experience with PHP and, Laravel Framework (or equivalent language / frameworks such as .NET or Java)
- Over a year's hands-on development experience of front-end development HTML, CSS, JS
- Exposure to Angular, React JS or similar frameworks
- Understanding of common software project management practices
- Understanding of common software development practices
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken to all project audiences
- Able to meet client and project deadlines and remain calm under pressure
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skils
- Strong conceptualization ability, strong visual communication ability, documentation and presentation ability
- Exposure to Mobile Application Development (iOS / Android)
- Exposure to Continuous Delivery & Automated Testing Approaches (Jenkins / Go, Cucumber / Behat)
- Experience using Agile Methodologies such as Scrum
|Person Specification: |
We'd like you to be:
- Passionate about new technologies, best practice and keeping cutting edge
- Proactive about self-learning, up-skilling and knowledge sharing
- Continually looking for opportunities and ways to improve the team.
- Active in contributing to department meetings and training sessions, which help raise the knowledge base of the team as a whole.
- A team player on hand to assist teammates where necessary.
|Additional Information: |
- Competitive salary
- Modern offices in the heart of Brighton
- Generous personal development budget to invest in your career
- Regular innovation days.
- Weekly knowledge-shares and skills swap
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Friendly sociable team
- Friday beers and regular socials
- Well-stocked fruit bowl and snacks
- Childcare vouchers, bike to work scheme
No agencies please
Please mention that you found this job on the Wired Sussex website
Email this job to a friend
Make sure you’re not missing out on other opportunities by registering for Job Alerts and uploading your CV.
For tips on how to secure your dream job see our Careers Advice page.