Wired Sussex is growing and we are looking to recruit two (possibly three) new members to serve on our board of non-executive directors. We specifically want to broaden the board’s representation of digital industry specialities and improve its diversity.
Being a non-exec director of Wired Sussex is a unique opportunity to help guide the future of the digital cluster based around Brighton.
What’s in it for you?
It’s not money. Non-executive directors at Wired Sussex don’t get paid.
But… being a non-executive Wired Sussex Director is a unique opportunity:
- to personally develop new and broader perspectives of our sector and regional economy;
- to share your expertise and to influence the development of our sector for the benefit of our community;
- to extend your network – Wired Sussex has relationships at a senior level both regionally and nationally;
- to gain exposure to a talented group of senior representatives from key local digital businesses; and
- to challenge yourself by working closely with a different organisation.
What does Wired Sussex do?
Wired Sussex exists to support the digital cluster based in Sussex, centred in and around Brighton. Its mission is to help local digital businesses develop and grow to their maximum potential. It currently has over 2,500 member businesses and freelancers. Among other things, it provides centralised facilities for R&D in areas like VR and 5G. It runs events, incubates new businesses, supports recruitment, brokers freelance assignments and project opportunities, advertises workspace and facilitates networking. It represents the sector to local and central government and encourages research to analyse the sector and assess its future needs.
The Wired Sussex Board
The non-executive Wired Sussex board supports the senior leadership team led by Managing Director, Phil Jones (@philjoneswired), to direct the business and fulfil its mission. It currently has eight members including Phil.
Who are we looking for?
The board currently has representation from digital consulting, web design, e-learning, SaaS, search marketing and animation. We would like to add expertise from other specialities: immersive tech, games and e-commerce might be obvious candidates.
We would also like to increase the human diversity of our board particularly with respect to gender and race.
What are we asking for?
As a non-exec director, you commit to:
- Supporting the Wired Sussex senior leadership team to direct the business.
- Serving as a Companies House director of Wired Sussex Limited with the corresponding rights and responsibilities.
- Wired Sussex is a company limited by guarantee – there are no shareholders and it pays no dividends. Any surplus is used to grow the organisation.
- Attending board meetings, currently every three months; these normally take place at the Fusebox in New England House and generally last an hour and a half.
- Providing ad hoc advice and support to Wired Sussex on projects.
- Helping to represent Wired Sussex at occasional meetings including with external organisations.
You must be a director of an organisation that is a Wired Sussex member or a Wired Sussex freelance member.
How to apply
Please apply in writing, explaining your background and what you would bring to the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is Sunday, 30th September 2018.
Interviews will take place in the weeks of the 8th and 15th October.