Brighton Fringe is the largest open-access arts festival in England. It is an international festival that is at the same time rooted in the community. It embraces every art form and every form of artistic expression, and supports both new and established performers in trying out new work and taking risks.
Our vision is to be a nationally and internationally acclaimed open-access arts festival and year-round professional resource, that stimulates, educates and develops audiences and artistic communities.
Our mission is to bring artists & audiences together & act as a catalyst for creativity. In addition to creating a platform for artists to showcase their work, we also help artists develop professionally through a range of free to attend workshops, mentoring schemes and bursary programmes.
In 2018 Brighton Fringe consisted of 1008 events in 164 venues across the city, and attracted audiences of over 596,000. Brighton Fringe Ltd is a registered charity.
Summary: Brighton Fringe Ltd seeks a highly motivated, dynamic and creative individual for the position of Marketing Manager. Leading the marketing and communications team, and working closely with all departments and stakeholders (including venues, participants, press, suppliers and commercial partners), the Marketing Manager is responsible for the formulation and delivery of an integrated marketing, press and PR strategy for Brighton Fringe. In addition, the role oversees, develops and manages the delivery of Brighton Fringe in-house events, including launches, awards and Fringe City, our outdoor showcase event that takes place every weekend of Brighton Fringe. The post holder will have proven management and arts marketing experience, and will be able to inspire and lead a small team to help take Brighton Fringe to the next stage of its development. This is a crucial and wide-ranging role within the central organisation that runs England’s largest and fastest-growing arts festival.
Benefits of Working for Brighton Fringe:
- Platinum Friends Membership (worth £200 per year)
- Free event registration each year
- Tea, coffee and birthday treats!
- Christmas party
- Invites to exclusive events throughout the year
- Free ticket opportunities
- Opportunity to travel to other Fringe events around the globe
- Central Brighton office location
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop and manage the delivery of an integrated marketing strategy in line with the ethos of Brighton Fringe and as agreed by the CEO and the Board.
• With the CEO, manage the marketing budget to ensure all activities are delivered within budget, reducing costs wherever possible.
• Manage the implementation of integrated marketing plans, liaising with other staff as required to maximise awareness of all activities throughout the Brighton Fringe cycle, across all platforms and outlets.
• Ensure all marketing and communications are on brand and all brand guidelines are followed across the organisation’s activities.
• Plan, develop and manage all aspects of the brochure production, including design, content, print and distribution, in liaison with the Venues & Companies Manager, and oversee the Production and Distribution Coordinator to ensure delivery on time and within budget.
• Manage, co-ordinate and oversee the development of all aspects of the Brighton Fringe website, liaising with developers to ensure timely delivery of all elements.
• Manage and further develop a multimedia (video, photo and audio) and digital strategy (website, email and social media) in line with marketing activity.
• Manage and coordinate the delivery of a Fringe app liaising with developers to ensure timely delivery.
• In addition to brochure production, manage, build and co-ordinate all marketing print including flyers, posters and large format print (and their display/distribution) and ensure delivery on time and within budget.
• Work with the CEO and Head of Operations & Development to prepare presentations, matrix analysis and brand benefits, which can be communicated effectively to sponsors, partners and other stakeholders in line with Brighton Fringe positioning.
• Manage and co-ordinate stakeholder feedback and data analysis.
• Maintain and further develop partnerships with creative and educational institutions to help deliver work and content.
• Maintain and further develop in-kind partnerships that support the delivery of marketing activities.
• Liaise with the Development & Sales Manager to ensure digital advertising opportunities are available for sale in a timely manner.
• Develop and manage, in liaison with other staff as required, year-round PR initiatives and events to further raise the profile of Brighton Fringe locally, nationally and internationally.
• Develop and manage the delivery of creative and effective media communication campaigns including the provision of Press Packs and other
marketing material as required.
• Manage and further develop media partnerships secure coverage and content on line and in print, maintaining a database of press and media contacts and manage effective working relationships with all media.
• Manage the Press Officer when in place, and at other times support the Marketing Coordinator to create effective press releases and media coverage.
• Working with the Events Producer, when in place, ensure that all event branding is correctly designed and displayed in accordance with brand guidelines and meets commercial and funding partnership requirements.
• Oversee the Events Producer to ensure all commercial partnership agreements are met in respect of activities in and around Fringe City and at other events.
• Ensure all infrastructure, display materials and programmes are produced correctly and on time for Fringe City and other events.
4. Staff Management
• Manage, co-ordinate and work effectively with the marketing team, including contractual staff and volunteers to deliver marketing outcomes on time and within budget.
• Manage, co-ordinate and work effectively with the Events Producer and events team, when in place, to deliver marketing for Fringe City and other events on time and within budget.
• Manage, coordinate and work effectively with the Production and Distribution Coordinator, when in place, to ensure the production and distribution of all printed materials on time and within budget.
• Manage, co-ordinate and work effectively with the Press Officer, when in place, to ensure media coverage on line and in print.
• With the Office & HR Manager, carry out annual appraisals for all marketing personnel, identifying training and development needs and opportunities where appropriate.
5. Reporting and Financial Management
• Ensure timely accurate reporting to the CEO and the Board as required.
• Manage the research and evaluation of all marketing and communication activities including digital interaction and web analysis and the Fringe loyalty/friends scheme.
• Manage marketing budgets to ensure best value is achieved at all times and where possible work with partners and supplier to provide Value in Kind support.
• Work with the Head of Operations & Development to ensure Brighton Fringe fulfils all sponsorship and funding obligations relating to marketing, communications and events.
• Manage the evaluation process for audiences and marketing partnerships.
• Compile annual feedback reports for the CEO and Board
• Work with the CEO, Finance Administrator and marketing team to create the
annual review in an accurate and timely manner.
Brighton Fringe is a company limited by guarantee and registered with the Charity
Commission. We are an equal opportunities employer.
Details: Please email a copy of your completed application form by 12pm on Monday 24th June 2019 to: email@example.com
Application is by application form only.Please note that we will not accept CVs as application for this position
Deadline for applications: 12pm, Monday 24th June 2019
Interviews: Week commencing 1st July 2019
Start Date: July/August
Full details of the job description, and to download the application form, please visit out website: https://www.brightonfringe.org/fringe-info/jobs/
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent organisational and administration skills, including ICT skills, especially
Adobe Creative Suite
• Ability to work accurately under pressure and to meet deadlines
• Knowledge of council planning procedures for outdoor events
• Ability to manage staff and volunteers and set targets to achieve desired
outcomes on time and within budget
• Availability to travel and to work flexible hours when required
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team when required
• Experience of managing and working within very small teams or organisations
• Knowledge of, or interest in, the festival/arts sector, within Brighton & Hove in
• Knowledge of health and safety regulations relating to events
• Experience of working for a not-for-profit organisation
• Experience of working with volunteers