Insight and Market Research Advisor
Sussex Innovation is a business incubation network, supporting entrepreneurs, start-ups and scale-ups across the South East from our Centres at the University of Sussex, East Croydon and our new Centre opening in Brighton this year. Our members are ambitious companies who are innovators in their field - solving important problems in new ways. Our Support Team are on-hand to help members' develop the strategic insight, connections and practical steps to help them grow, providing experience and access to resources to help deliver results.
Sussex Innovation is looking for an experienced Insight and Market Research Advisor to join our Business Support team. The role would appeal to a motivated researcher with a keen interest in working with innovative businesses, start-ups and university spin-outs, and will involve helping our members at our Falmer, East Croydon and Brighton Centres to launch their projects to market or grow their existing business sustainably and profitably. You will be part of the specialised Support team who offer advice, mentoring, workshops and practical tools to foster that growth.
This is an excellent opportunity for a market intelligence professional with experience of conducting customer insight and market research to work with our senior team to deliver our service.
The market research and insight department help innovative entrepreneurs answer questions like:
• Which target market or industry most needs, wants and can afford to pay for the innovation?
• What problem does the innovation solve and how deeply is it felt by the proposed target industry or market?
• Who is the existing competition and how do they position themselves?
• How does the proposed target industry/market currently solve the problem? How much do they pay to solve it and how are their current solutions delivered?
• What channels can we use to best reach the target market or industry?
• What strategy and tactics can be used to attract first customers and build growth?
• What brand identity will best attract first customers and build growth?
Market insight and research duties include working with members to decide what research questions and tools will achieve their goals. We work with innovators in a range of disciplines with either a B2B or B2C focus. You will undertake market research into specific industries, collating data from the internet and our online resources (e.g. Frost & Sullivan, Beauhurst). You will be delivering unique insight using depth interviews or surveys and analyse data for members to better understand their company, the position it holds in the market and how to improve that position. You will be supported by the senior team to help clients interpret and apply your research to their business ideas.
The Centre offers a competitive package of benefits and a supportive, collaborative working environment.
Please apply for the role as soon as possible, your application will be considered immediately. No agencies please. We will be conducting interviews in August. Please write to Peter Lane email@example.com enclosing your C.V. and explaining in a detailed letter why you would suit this role and what personal qualities and experience you would bring to Sussex Innovation Centre.
The ideal candidate will have experience of conducting market research, with the ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail. You will be working alongside our senior support team to package, promote, scope and propose your services to our members. We are looking for:
• Experience of conducting desk-based and internet research to answer specificquestions, digging out hard to find data by thinking laterally about the subject
• Market research experience, including conducting telephone and in-depth interviews
• Ability to think creatively to recruit participants who fit the customer segmentation of an early stage business
• Experience and skill to analyse the research data and write a briefing paper or report
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple simultaneous deadlines
• Confidence to work and engage with innovative companies of all scales
• Flexibility to work between multiple Centre locations as required (Falmer, Brighton and Croydon)
• Analytical mind and curiosity about innovative products and services
• Ability to sift through large amounts of information to find what is relevant
• Good interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage, develop others’ skills and work closely with our Catalyst Team members to deliver some projects
• Strong organisational skills and an ability to work to deadlines
• Attention to detail
• Strong Microsoft Office skills