Senior Insight and Market Research Advisor
Sussex Innovation is a business incubation network, supporting entrepreneurs, start-ups and scale-ups across the South East from our Centres at the University of Sussex, East Croydon and our new Centre opening in Brighton this year. Our members are ambitious companies who are innovators in their field - solving important problems in new ways. Our Support Team are on-hand to help members' develop the strategic insight, connections and practical steps to help them grow, providing experience and access to resources to help deliver results.
Sussex Innovation is looking for a Senior Insight and Market Research Advisor to join our Business Support team. The role would appeal to an experienced researcher with a keen interest in working with innovative businesses. start-ups and university spin-outs and will involve helping our members at our Falmer, East Croydon and Brighton Centres to launch their projects to market or grow their existing business sustainably and profitably. You will be part of the specialised Support team who offer advice, mentoring, workshops and practical tools to foster that growth.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced market intelligence professional with experience of conducting customer insight and market research to work within our senior team. We work with innovators in a range of disciplines with either a B2B or B2C focus and we are keen to recruit a team member who can both deliver and help develop our insight methods. This is a real chance to innovate our service and test new ideas alongside our senior team and new CEO.
The market research and insight department helps innovative entrepreneurs answer questions like:
• Which target market or industry most needs, wants and can afford to pay for the innovation?
• What problem does the innovation solve and how deeply is it felt by the proposed target industry or market?
• Who is the existing competition and how do they position themselves?
• How does the proposed target industry/market currently solve the problem? How much do they pay to solve it and how are their current solutions delivered?
• What channels can we use to best reach the target market or industry?
• What strategy and tactics can be used to attract first customers and build growth?
• What brand identity will best attract first customers and build growth?
Market insight and research duties include working with members to decide what research questions and tools will achieve their goals. You will undertake market research into specific industries, collating data from the internet and our online resources (e.g. Frost & Sullivan, Beauhurst). You will be delivering unique insight using in-depth interviews or surveys and analyse data for members to better understand their company, the position it holds in the market and how to improve that position. You will be supported by the senior team to help clients interpret and apply your research to their business ideas.
You will utilise the results of your insight and research, drawing on your own and the Centre’s marketing expertise to create bespoke strategies and working with members to develop effective and deliverable go-to-market tactics. Additionally, you will provide this support to student enterprise and academic research commercialisation projects and help with the promotion and marketing of the Centre itself to help attract new members and tenants.
The Centre offers a competitive package of benefits and a supportive, collaborative working environment.
Please apply for the role as soon as possible, your application will be considered immediately. No agencies please. We will be conducting interviews in August. Please write to Peter Lane firstname.lastname@example.org enclosing your C.V. and explaining in a detailed letter why you would suit this role and what personal qualities and experience you would bring to Sussex Innovation Centre.
The ideal candidate will have experience of conducting market research in a business environment, with the ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail. Your research projects will be paid for by clients so the confidence to package, promote, scope and propose your services to our members and work directly with them to achieve their goals is crucial.
We are looking for:
• Experience of conducting desk-based and internet research to answer specific questions about markets, products or services digging out hard to find data by thinking laterally about the subject
• Primary market research experience, including conducting telephone and in-depth interviews
• Ability to think creatively to recruit participants who fit the customer segmentation of an early stage business
• Ability to develop lean and effective methods of research to ensure that the research is affordable to early stage companies
• Ideally you will have conducted research for early stage or established companies with new product or service ideas
• Ideally you will have experience of helping businesses find a Product Market fit
• Experience and skill to analyse the research data and write a briefing paper or report
• Experience of managing a dedicated market research resource or team including training and mentoring
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple simultaneous deadlines
• Confidence to work and engage with innovative companies of all scales
• A networker, confident and used to presenting in front of groups / events
• Flexibility to work between multiple Centre locations as required (Falmer, Brighton and Croydon)
• Analytical mind and curiosity about innovative products and services
• Ability to sift through large amounts of information to find what is relevant
• Good interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage, develop others’ skills and work closely with our Catalyst Team members to deliver some projects
• Strong organisational skills and an ability to work to deadlines
• Attention to detail
• Strong Microsoft Office skills