Full Stack Developer
- Brighton and Hove
- Dependent on experience
- Front-End Development, Back-End Development, Full Stack Development
- Contract Type
BrightLocal is a SaaS platform providing a suite of marketing reports and services to digital marketing agencies, brands and small-medium sized businesses.
We have over 3,500 marketing agency customers and work with big brands such as REED recruitment, Wagamama and Paddy Power. These companies depend on BrightLocal to help them improve their online performance to deliver greater traffic and new customers.
Launched in 2009, we have an established and respected brand in the industry and are known for our authoritative research and webinars as much as our specialist search-reporting platform. Our industry-leading research is regularly picked up by mainstream media like the Guardian and the Wall Street Journal.
We employ 130+ people across 4 countries: the UK, the USA, Ukraine, and the Philippines.
Brighton is our HQ and our global management and operational hub, comprised of Marketing, Customer Success, Product & Project Management and Operations.
Last year we grew the company by 30%. We have ambitious growth targets for 2019, and this role will be crucial to help us achieve our goals.
We’re keen to invest in our team’s continued success with regular training and conference opportunities, we also like to have fun with regular team-building days which include activities like paragliding, quad biking and sailing to name but a few!
Please take a look at our Glassdoor profile to find out more about the type of business and employer we are.
This is a unique opportunity for a skilled full stack developer to join our growing development team in a specialist role.
You will be responsible for supporting the efforts of our Marketing and Business Development teams through quick delivery of projects including website optimizations, building mini SEO tools and data-mining & data-visualization reports that will drive the next phase of our growth.
95% of our new customer acquisition comes through our website and is generated through inbound marketing. We achieve this by creating unique content, resources and online tools which attract and convert potential customers.
We have ambitious plans to improve the conversion rate of our website (www.brightlocal.com) and to build a set of mini SEO tools that allow customers to ‘try before they buy’. And once they have signed-up for BrightLocal we need to improve our understanding of user behaviour through tracking their actions and reporting on trends that inform our product roadmap.
This role is perfect for a skilled full stack developer looking to take ownership of the projects they work on, who has a keen interest in UX and usability and wants to see the direct impact of the work they do on the growth of a SaaS company.
You will be the main developer on these projects and will be responsible for determining the approach taken to implement and maximize user engagement. The projects will vary in nature and size, and will require different solutions to deliver. You will need to consider challenges such as scalability, data-storage, UX and UI so it is consistent for external and internal users.
This role requires close working with our Marketing & Business Development team.
- 3+ years of LAMP development experience
- Experience writing applications using MVC frameworks
- Good understanding of object-oriented programming concepts and design patterns
- Experience developing WordPress sites
- Experience of using git (and particularly GitHub). Comfortable branching, creating pull requests and merging.
- Experience of using frontend build tools (npm, gulp, grunt, Less, Sass)
- Experience of creating robust and secure public-facing web applications
- Experience dealing with browser compatibility issues
- Good understanding of Linux and the Linux command line
- Experience of writing custom WordPress plugins
- Experience with Bootstrap or Foundation
Why work for BrightLocal?
We’re a founder-led business and incredibly passionate about building a great product and service that our customers love.
We’re customer focused and always try to find a way to help customers and make their working lives easier.
We’re also very people focused and invest heavily in training employees and ensuring that there is a good work/life balance. We believe that work should be enjoyable and we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We celebrate passion and hate office politics.
We work hard, enjoy ourselves and respect the needs of the individual and the group.
We don’t get everything right but we’re always looking to improve. And we’re honest.
Here’s a few things that we’re pretty proud about -
- We’re an independent business with no external finance
- We’ve been profitable since 2012
- Last year we grew the business by 26%
- We have a very trusted brand - 9.4 rating from 301 reviews on TrustPilot (https://www.trustpilot.com/review/brightlocal.com)
- Our NPS score for 2018 is 48.1 (up from 41.5 in 2017)
- No one works on their birthday - extra days holiday
- All employees have the option to work away/abroad for 3 weeks/year
- We like to have fun - e.g. sailing, paragliding, volleyball, quad-biking
- We offer competitive salary and benefits
- Performance related bonus worth up to 20% of annual salary
- 25 days paid holiday per year + public holidays
- An extra paid day off on your birthday
Please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Personable and Friendly
- Passionate and willing
- Methodical and accurate
- Practical and hard-working
- Professional and articulate
- Thoughtful and curious
- Energetic and self-motivated
- Multi-tasker and works well under pressure
- Flexible and adaptable to change