BigHat Digital is a digital agency specialising in Magento, founded by two developers working as in-house developers directly with merchants for over a decade, and with a vastly different skillset to our competitors. This has allowed us to insert into the market and take a reasonable market share. Having been operating now for over a year, experiencing explosive growth during this timeframe and having recently moved into our new office; we are now in the position to take on another developer to help with our ever increasing workload.
Reporting to the directors and working from our office in the old town of Eastbourne (parking available), you will work on a range of different client and in-house projects, all of which use the Magento platform. Some of the industries we service include, Fashion, Art, Gadgets, IT equipment and more.
As a small business, you may have to fill the shoes of both frontend and backend development. But this will be given as an opportunity to find out what you like best. Once this has been established, we will aid your chosen career path with training and certification. With the small business, comes the small business vibe, no corporate overtones.
We are looking for someone who is dedicated, absolutely loves what they do, and are always looking to innovate and look at their code again and see ways to improve the performance. You should be looking to make the next step in your career and specialise in a framework. By joining BigHat, that framework will be Magento 2 and you will move forward with your career in the booming ecommerce sector. Some of the things you will get to build and use include Payment Services Providers, Amazon/eBay, full Magento 2 website builds, new features (the fun ones, one of our projects at the moment includes a full custom WMS connector!) and some work with the legacy Magento 1 platform, while we move our clients to Magento 2. Some of the technologies Magento internally uses include:
- React (Progressive Web Applications)
- PHP 7.x
- Zend 2 and Symfonyframeworks.
The ideal developer will have been working in a commercial environment for the last 1 to 2 years, and will have been actively working with the following technologies and methodologies during this timeframe:
- PHP 7.x
- Model View Controller architectures.
- Object Orientated Design Patterns.
- MacOS or Linux(Windows users are eligible, but you will be required to upskill in Linux or MacOS).
- SASS / LESS.
Desirable skills include:
- Magento 1 and/or 2.
- Zend 2 / Symfony experience.
- Ecommerce Experience
- Salary between £22,000 and £28,000 DOE.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays. Rising to 30 days holiday + bank holidays after 3 years.
- Occasional evenings out for a meal (7bone’s is our go to spot at the moment!)
- The occasional cheeky takeaway for lunch.
- Your choice of a Linux (desktop or laptop) machine or Apple Mac Mini.
- Dr. Pepper, lots of it, but we do encourage you to look after your oral health!
- Professional development with highly experienced developers who are eager to pass on their knowledge!
- PHPStorm on the house.
We know how it feels being asked to complete some mundane task invented by the lead developer when job hunting. So, instead, please include some ‘crowning’ examples of your work in your cover letter (some PHP and a completed project would be great!). Something recent you have worked on would be ideal (and something from when you first started if you like!).
This will be a two-stage interview process, and we promise to all of our candidates we will keep you in the loop, and keep you apprised of any timeframes during the interview process.
We will consider remote developers within the United Kingdom only, but you must have demonstrable Magento 2 experience to be eligible.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE