Sales Support Assistant
Our mission is to do things differently. We have been breaking new ground since inception in 1999. Journeys by Design is built on a sustainable travel model, crafting tailor-made journeys to Africa, with conservation and philanthropy as much at its core as luxury and adventure. Our conservation ethic has grown exponentially, resulting in the setting up of Wild Philanthropy, a charitable foundation supporting and protecting wilderness, wildlife and community projects on the ground in Africa. Wild Enterprise, our newly formed social enterprise, has invested in and supports a local tourism business in Ethiopia, Wild Expeditions Ethiopia. Global, national and local, our deep sense of ethic reaches back into Brighton where we operate a coffee shop on the ground floor connecting business to the local communities. Together, these companies combine as Africa House.
Journeys by Design
Journeys by Design has a strong brand in the luxury and frontier travel sector and has a renowned media presence, setting the trend by recognising the value of the international market very early on, working with publications in the US and the UK such as Condé Nast Traveller, Departures Magazine, The Financial Times, Robb Report and Travel & Leisure.
Wild Philanthropy is successfully emerging as a mechanism to provide investment in Africa, its people, wildlife and wilderness. Supported by our Friends, Wild Philanthropy successfully supports a number of high impact conservation and community development projects.
Wild Enterprise is a social enterprise which aims to blend profit and purpose by developing community-led tourism businesses that support conservation and community development. Its first impact investment has been into Wild Expeditions Ethiopia, which in its first few years has successfully taken the leading position in ethical travel in Ethiopia.
Africa House is both our physical home and the umbrella under which the various companies sit. It also has its own café, which helps connect us to our local community. Designed to create a tranquil yet productive space for the team, our offices are the envy of the industry. The cafe acts as a gateway into our building, allowing us to share some of the wonders of Africa through books, music and people.
Employed by Journeys by Design and working alongside our sister charitable foundation Wild Philanthropy at Africa House, you will be a passionate Sales Support assistant, likely to have had luxury travel experience, or experience as a high-level PA, with a strong customer service background. You will be a very strong team player with exceptional communication skills and comfortable assisting high net worth individuals with complex travel needs. You will be an unflappable, positive person who can hit the ground running and with a can-do attitude.
Terms and conditions
Job Title: Sales Support Assistant
Start date: As soon as possible
Duration of contract: Permanent
Probation period: Six months
Salary: £20,000-£23,000pa + bonus based on company results
Location: Africa House, Brunswick Row, Brighton BN1 4JZ.
Benefits: Journeys by Design offers an attractive benefits package. As well as a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, we offer the following benefits:
- 25 days annual leave in addition to Bank Holidays and Christmas Closing
- Company performance related bonus
- Flexible working
- Beautiful offices close to Brighton train station
- Discount at our inhouse Community Coffee Shop
- Possible opportunity to travel to Africa after one year
In addition to this, we operate a family-first office environment, encouraging staff to ensure a healthy balance between work and play. We believe that by treating our team fairly we not only create a positive working environment, we enable the delivery of a greater impact in terms of our group mission at Africa House. Very rarely do we find ‘going the extra mile’ a problem. On the contrary, it’s good for all.
The Sales Support Assistant will
- Support the Sales Team with all aspects of the client journey from creation of detailed itineraries, liaising with ground handlers pre-, during- and post-trip, to following up with return gifts.
- Assisting the Sales Support Manager in keeping Client Database up to date, improving systems, and the general smooth running of the sales operations.
Sales Support Specific Job Duties:
- Support of the Sales Team.
- Creation of itineraries and trip logistics summaries.
- Preparation of important information and documentation sent out to client’s pre-travel, including travel advise, visa and embassy details, restaurant suggestions, checklists, clothing suggestions, etc.
- Client liaison and assistance with queries
- Ground handler liaison and systematic checks of trip logistics.
- Ordering and stock keeping of general office supplies, travel bags, books for client return gifts, etc.
- Postage of brochure packs, itineraries, travel bags and return gifts.
- Database organisation and upkeep.
- Research on camps, lodges and activities.
- Answering of the main line telephone.
- Scheduling of supplier meetings.
- Scheduling feedback and general calls for the sales team with clients.
- Updating of all travel documents with relevant changes.
- Organisation of administration folders.
- Regular collaboration and brainstorming for ideas and ways to improve systems and general organisation of the sales support team.
- Upkeep of the travel board.
- General administrative duties.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Highly organised.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Uses initiative.
- Experience in customer service.
- Experience dealing with HNWI
- Experience at a PA level or supporting a sales team.
- Experience using MSOffice suite, including Outlook email and calendars, Word, PowerPoint etc.
- Understanding a client journey.
- Experience in luxury bespoke travel.
- Knowledge of southern and eastern Africa.
- Positive, can-do attitude. Helpful nature.
- Team player.
- Integrity and honesty.
- We have a strong organisational culture that we believe allows us to operate more effectively. This is built on trust, mutual respect and a deep commitment to profit with purpose. We look to grow organically where appropriate, to drive our conservation ethic. The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate they share our vision.
- An empathy with and enthusiasm for people and our brands, their potential including the positive impact they can achieve and our underlying ethics of conservation and philanthropy.
- Communicate the work of Africa House positively both internally and externally.
- Sociable and with a good sense of humour goes without saying…
Please submit your application, consisting of a covering letter, CV and contact details for two referees.
Deadline for applications is 15th November 2019. Due to the urgency of this vacancy, we will consider CVs as they are submitted, and reserve the right to close the application process early.
Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by email or telephone. Please specify any preference for contact in your covering letter.
Regrettably, due to limited resources and the high number of applications we receive, we are only able to contact short-listed candidates. If you do not hear from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
Journeys by Design encourages applications from individuals with disabilities who are able to carry out the duties of the post. If you have any special needs in relation to your application please contact Rosanna Garrod, HR Manager on Tel: 01273 623790
Journeys by Design values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.