Digital Communications Co-ordinator
- National Numeracy
- Editorial / Content, Marketing / PR, Video / Content Production
- Full-Time, Flexible
- Contract Type
National Numeracy is an independent charity established in 2012. Our aim is to enable everyone across the UK to be confident and competent in using numbers and data, to be able to make good decisions in their daily life and at work. We are working towards our aim by:
Raising awareness about poor numeracy levels which exist in the UK, how important numeracy is in everyday life, and of the recognition that everyone can improve their skills.
Improving numeracy. We’ve helped over 270,000 people so far to check whether they have the ‘Essentials of Numeracy’, and are helping them to achieve them if they don’t.
This role will be responsible for working with the Communications Team to support these aims and ensure National Numeracy (NN) reaches its digital engagement targets to help thousands of people improve their numeracy skills. You will have a knack for writing compelling messaging and choosing powerful imagery and footage, which when combined attracts and motivates people to improve their numeracy skills. You will need to be able to empathise with the diverse audiences we aim to reach and the complex barriers they have to overcome in order to improve their skills. As part of each campaign you will be committed to refining this (with the support of the team) to help us develop ever more compelling content. You will be comfortable with using a variety of digital communications tools, with training and support from the wider team, and proactive at seeking out new opportunities to help us boost our digital reach, having an appreciation for evidence and data to help continually improve our approaches.
In 2020 the Communications team will be focussed on delivering the third annual National Numeracy Day campaign, carrying out a brand refresh, and re-platforming our main website.
Overview of main duties:
You will work with the Communications and Marketing Team to develop and maintain content across NN’s digital presence, in particular:
• Utilise social media to promote the online numeracy assessment tool – in particular Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and devise new ways to reach potential audiences.
• Work with the Digital Engagement Manager to develop our direct-to-learner comms.
• Support the team in the day-to-day running of the 3 websites, implementing ongoing content updates e.g. new projects and campaigns (such as National Numeracy Day).
• Become an in-house brand guardian, ensuring all our external comms adhere to our tone of voice and messaging guidelines.
• Work closely with the team (including external web developers) to optimise user experience and flow across NN websites.
• Provide support to implement our SEO strategy, putting user experience at the heart of each new web content as appropriate.
• Create copy for email communication campaigns to over 100,000 users of the online numeracy assessment tool, working with the Data Analyst on segmentation and GDPR compliance.
• Contribute to content creation for written and video content for National Numeracy’s websites and those of our partners.
• Assist with the creative development of materials and resources for partners and projects.
• Work on design and messaging for marketing campaigns and projects and ongoing attempts to engage more people with numeracy tools.
• Work with other in-house teams to help plan and implement effective comms/marketing strategies across a range of projects and products.
• Deal effectively and professionally with all aspects of communication, including confidential correspondence.
• Be involved in monitoring the impact of the work of the direct-to-learner comms.
• Pro-actively build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, customers and external agencies to reflect the values of the organisation.
You will have
• Excellent written skills, with proven skills in content creation.
• Excellent verbal interpersonal /communication skills.
• Experience in digital communications or marketing with experience of web analytics and social media management tools, including Mail Chimp or similar.
• A thirst for all things social media related.
• Good organisational, interpersonal, multi-tasking, and prioritisation skills. • Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
You will be
• A creative thinker who is enthusiastic and self-motivated.
• Detail oriented and task focussed.
• Self-motivated, pro-active and flexible.
• Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Numerate and recognise the importance of numeracy.
Desired Skills & experience
• Educated to degree level.
•Working knowledge of basic HTML.
• Working knowledge of Google Adwords, Photoshop, Adobe Suite
• Working knowledge of GDPR laws
• An interest/understanding of behavioural techniques applied to marketing and comms
• Experience of provision of administrative support.
We offer 25 days holiday a year, interest-free travel loans, a supportive approach to career development and £19,000 - £22,000 per year salary plus pension.
National Numeracy is based in Lewes, East Sussex, but works with a national remit. There may be some UK travel associated with this post.
In the first instance, interested applicants should submit a CV with covering letter outlining their suitability for the role and why they want to work with us by 30th November 2019.
*National Numeracy reserve the right to change the closing date if an appropriate candidate is found. *This job description does not constitute a guarantee of employment