- Work from home, anywhere in the UK
- £30,000–£38,000 plus £2,000 bonus
- Back-End Development, Full Stack Development, Software Engineering
- Mid-Level, Junior-Level
- Contract Type
£30,000–£38,000 depending on experience, plus £2,000 company target sales bonus and participation in share option scheme after a qualifying period.
Studybugs (studybugs.com) provides a unique communication platform for children’s health and wellbeing, used by thousands of schools and parents across the UK. We strive to be a diverse, pleasant and supportive company to work for, with an inclusive approach where we share ideas and learn from each other.
About This Role
We’re expanding our product team and looking for a bright, pragmatic and self-motivated software engineer to help us keep pace with customers’ demands and further accelerate the growth of the Studybugs platform.
You’ll be implementing new features and have responsibility for delivering code over the full ‘stack’ — from development of our browser-based user interface, to the server APIs, to the distributed systems and data processing behind them. You’ll have the satisfaction – and the responsibility – of seeing your work being relied on by the many thousands of parents, teachers and children using Studybugs every day.
We run a small yet productive development team with lightweight processes that enable us to deliver frequent software updates. We’re continually refining and extending all aspects of the Studybugs platform in response to feedback from our users. With this in mind, you’ll need to structure code for reliability, reusability and simplicity, so we can continue to scale the platform while responding quickly to user demands.
On the front-end, you’ll be working closely with our user experience team to produce simple, slick and understandable user interfaces that people – sometimes children as young as four years old – can pick up right away.
There’s an informal and flexible work environment here and you’ll have a key role within it as we continue to grow. Whether you’re a recent graduate looking to jump-start your career or an experienced engineer looking for flexibility, this is a propitious time to join a fast-growing company.
What You’ll Be Doing
- develop new product features;
- refine existing functionality and fix bugs;
- work with the UX team on web user interface design;
- work with the mobile app development team on API design and evolution;
- build and maintain automated tests;
- draft implementation plans using our wiki and other online documentation tools;
- document issues in our issue management system;
- provide input on development of the core Studybugs platform;
- adhere to and help guide our coding standards and processes;
- keep up-to-date with technology and industry trends;
- communicate and share challenges and achievements openly with the Studybugs team; and
- contribute to the ongoing learning and success of the company.
What We’re Looking For
- You’re a clear-thinking software engineer able to cut through complex problems and write simple, understandable and reliable code.
- You have a deep understanding of the principles of good user interface design and an attention to detail which you can demonstrate with examples of your work.
- You have experience in server-side and web development.
- You’re eager to learn and share knowledge of new technologies and practices.
- You’re able to explain complex technical concepts clearly to colleagues.
- You have experience of version control software such as Git.
- You have a degree in computer science, engineering or a related field.
To apply, please email email@example.com with your CV and a short explanation of why the role interests you. If you’re able to provide links to examples of user interfaces you’ve developed or code you’ve written, that would also help us get an idea of what you can do.