At Electric Square, the worlds we create are key to our games and making an amazing experience for our players. The past year has seen our first full releases in Hot Wheels id and Forza Street, with other exciting top secret projects currently in development and even more about to kick start! Together with 4 studios, 150 people, 5 projects (and our studio dogs!) we can offer world class projects with unique studio culture to make staff feel empowered and inspired, which is why Electric Square has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor.
We are looking for passionate and talented R&D Programmers to join REACTOR, our in-house applied research and development team. REACTOR is an innovation strike team which works with the game teams to help build unique features and to find effective solutions to hard technical problems.
The R&D Programmer has a curious mind that immerses itself in difficult problems, breaking them down and drawing parallels with related problems that may reveal the path to a solution. They are able to brainstorm potential solutions and as skilled technical practitioners they are able implement prototype solutions and evaluate the merit and suitability of each for the project. Once a solution is chosen they will work with relevant disciplines on the game teams to implement the solution and work with the team to get it shipped. Throughout this process they will seek opportunities to share progress with the team and inspire fellow team members.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Strives to produce work to the highest standard.
- Plays a key role in taking an idea from early brainstorming to production-hardened implementation.
- Self planning, finds the fastest path to successful implementation within challenging time and resource constraints.
- Keeps the team in the loop and involved with the R&D work and keeps communication flowing to ensure the work stays relevant and adapts as the requirements evolve.
- Champions the work of the REACTOR within the studio.
- Raises profile of our work and of the studio in the community by preparing articles and conference talks.
- Performs code reviews with the team to ensure code quality.
- Works with designers, artists and other personnel involved in the development process as required to create the highest possible quality product.
- Develops technical design specifications and is able to implement them.
- Proficient in C/C++.
- Computer Science degree.
- Experience with rapid prototyping in search of a technical solution.
- Advanced Computer Science degree such as MSc or PhD.
- Experience of the a full product development cycle, from preproduction to shipping.
- Experience playing a key technical role in shipping a feature.
- Experience profiling and optimising performance critical code.
- Demonstrable portfolio of relevant extra-curricular or hobbyist projects.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including with team members outside of the code team.
- Skilled technical practitioner able to explore a large solution space rapidly.
- Writes clear, debuggable, maintainable and performance targeted code.
- Ability to explain complex technical ideas to a non-technical disciplines including project directors and production in a consumable way.
- Ability to evaluate whether a solution is suitable for production.
- A professional ‘can do’ attitude and a strong team player.
- Highly self-motivated with a positive mental attitude and pride in delivering quality.
- Excellent bug diagnosis and debugging skills.
When you join Electric Square you can expect to enjoy a unique culture. Whether its participating and relaxing with one of our wellness benefits or discussing the latest games over lunch cooked one of Brighton's incredible pop-up diners. The Studio knows that it’s the best people that make the best games and this is what Electric Square invests in. Below you will find all the benefits and perks you can enjoy as an Electric Square team member.
• Holidays - 20 days’ annual leave entitlement, plus 3 days’ studio closure over the Christmas period, giving a total of 23 days paid annual leave plus all 8 UK bank holidays.
• Bonus Anniversary Holidays - An additional day of annual leave for each year’s anniversary working at Electric Square, to a maximum of 7 extra days!
• Generous Team Project Bonuses
• Company Pension Scheme – Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
• Annual Cost-of-Living Pay Rise
• Private Medical Insurance Scheme – Full private medical cover provided by BUPA Private Healthcare.
• Group Income Protection
• Health and Well-being Allowance – £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities, ranging from going to the gym, rock climbing, yoga and a lovely massage. It's on us!
• Group Life Insurance
• Private Dental Insurance Scheme – Full private dental cover provided under our Dental plan company scheme.
• Cycle to Work Scheme – Salary sacrifice bike purchase scheme with tax savings through Cycle Scheme.
• Electra's Beer & Wine Fridge – Free beers, ales and wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
• Free Fresh Home Cooked Electric Square Monthly Friday Lunch – Monthly Friday lunches bought to us by one of many amazing local pop-up diners – all local and organic, meat and vegan recipes. A wonderful way to catch up with everyone on a Friday over a beer or a bottle of Kombucha!
• Eye-care Vouchers – Free eye tests.
• Train Travel Season Ticket Loan – Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
• Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Electric Square personal trainer.
• Fast Growing Studio – We're only getting bigger, so there's plenty of room for career advancement.
• Industry Conferences Budget – Many of our employees benefit every year from attending conferences such as GDC in San Francisco, SIGGRAPH, E3, Unite, Unreal Fest Europe and more.
• Free locally roasted Coffee & Speciality Teas
• Free Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections.
• Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console!
• Free Awesome Swag – Amazingly designed Electric Square T-shirts and merch, with the now iconic Electra emblazoned on the front. New ranges out every season.
• Two studios in the heart of Brighton – Electric Square South is right next to the Royal Pavilion in an imposing 1933 building originally called Electric House, Electric Square North is in a contemporary space on the other side of the Royal Pavilion.
• Exhibitions & Days Out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.
• Dogs with Jobs – Electric Square is a dog friendly employer. Bring doggo into the studio to meet and hang out with the rest of the team any time!
• Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Nights Out – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together seeing what the wonderful city of Brighton & Hove has to offer.
• Summer Festival – Every year on a hot summer’s afternoon, we all leave work early to enjoy the sun with company organised pop-up diner, cocktail shack, bouncy castle, face painting and other fun amenities. The whole family is invited to spend the day coming to socialise with us, on us :)
At Electric Square, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Electric Square is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Please mention you found this job on the Wired Sussex Jobs site.