JOB TITLE: Lead Animator
LOCATION: Brighton, UK
FUNCTION: Art & Animation
What We Need:
As the Animation Lead for an incredibly exciting new game from Hangar 13, you'll set the bar for the quality level of the animations across the entirety of the project, from keyframe animation on amazing new enemies, to directing mocap shoots of stunt actors to empower our characters, to scrutinizing every twitch of a facial animation in a cinematic, you will ensure that quality bar starts, and stays, incredibly high. You'll build and grow a team of highly skilled and incredibly creative animators and ensure they are given the proper guidance and feedback to meet the quality bar you've set. Finally, you'll be a creative force as part of our game's "Leads" group, adding and integrating your vision to the group's as the game continues to develop.
What You Will Do:
- Hold the vision, together with the Game Director, for how animation truly shapes gameplay both in terms of the player characters, and our enemies
- Work with the cinematics team to ensure consistency across cinematic animation and gameplay animation
- Collaborate with the Principal Animator to set the standard for quality across the animation team
- Drive designers and character modelers to understand your vision for the character animation and how you want to bring it to life
- Define the standard for character animation at every stage, from concept, to animatics, to actual animations that ship
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- A creative leader with the ability to both create and drive your own vision, while simultaneously working with the overall creative vision for the game to ensure they entwine well
- A deep desire to mentor other animators, and a gift for being able to deliver critical feedback while maintaining positive morale
- An animator passionate about working on industry defining titles that push your abilities and define true to life characters and creatures
- At least two shipped AAA titles where animations you created helped to define character and/or creature movement and abilities
- Expert knowledge of Maya or Motion Builder
- Comfort working within studio developed engines and tools
- Superior knowledge of current games and strong opinions about how they're animated
- Strong creative and technical problem solving skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to set the vision and help to explain it both within the studio and across other studio locations
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.
Please mention you found this job on the Wired Sussex Jobs site.