JOB TITLE: Lead Concept Artist
LOCATION: Brighton, UK
REPORTS TO: Art Director
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is currently looking for a Lead Concept Artist. The ideal candidate will be able to create a wide variety of detailed environment and character concepts while leading a team of artists to help shape the look and feel of our games. Must be able take direction well and iterate on ideas in a team atmosphere. To be considered for this role candidates must submit a link to an online portfolio when applying.
What You Will Do:
- Work with Art Director and other Leads to ensure artistic unity across the game
- Create a range of assets from characters, environments and even props while maintaining the core game vision set by the Art Director, Game Designers and Narrative Director
- Managed the day-to-day activities of the Concept Team
- Mentor and help with career development to assigned team members
- Sketch explorative thumbnails in 2D and 3D
- Create concepts from early production to final render
- Create quick open line designs that communicate space and form
- Provide feedback through paint overs
- Oversee storyboard creation
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- We are looking for a Lead Concept Artist with traditional and digital drawing and painting skills. Someone who is passionate about designing environments, characters and creatures. Someone who flourishes within a collaborative atmosphere.
- 5+ years of experience in games, film or television
- Degree in Fine Art or related experience
- Illustration skills, deep understanding of composition, color theory, values, form, shape language, and silhouette
- Excellent knowledge of Photoshop
- Experience with modeling software a plus
- Hard surface and vehicle design abilities
- Understanding of anatomy, creature and character design
- Ability to quickly iterate on ideas visually
- Ability communicate the Art Director’s vision well and present complimentary ideas
- Self-motivated toward solving creative problems
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.
Please mention you found this job on the Wired Sussex Jobs site.