Web Developer (Junior/Mid-Level)
- King & Mcgaw
- Newhaven, East Sussex
- Dependent on experience.
- Front-End Development, Back-End Development, Full Stack Development
- Contract Type
King & McGaw is the most prominent publisher, printer, wholesaler and retailer of art prints in the UK.
Through our brand King & McGaw we supply beautiful art prints, posters and art cards to all major UK museums such as the Tate and National Gallery. We supply most major and numerous independent retailers with art product and have exclusive direct relationships with major classic artists such as Picasso as well as hundreds of young and aspiring artists. King & McGaw is the largest UK art print online shop with more than 20,000 customers browsing our 50,000 prints every day.
We are working hard to get more people to explore and buy beautiful art. There are many artists that need discovering, walls that need decorating and trends that need creating. We have the network, contacts and manufacturing platform in place and now need people to help us develop it and realise its full potential.
We are based in Newhaven in East Sussex.
We are looking for a junior/mid-level full-stack developer to be part of a small team. The role is full-time, based in our Newhaven offices* reporting to the head of tech.
The tech stack of our website is Ruby/Rails using a service-oriented architecture backed by Postgres/Elasticsearch and a variety of 3rd party services. The front-end uses Vue.js & Sass/Tailwind CSS compiled with webpack(er).
- You will work closely with various departments from marketing, design and customer service to develop and improve functionality of the retail website.
- Monitor and improve the website with regards to speed, usability, SEO and keeping up with best practices and coding standards.
- Suggest ideas for improvement based on data and analysis.
- Example of projects in the pipeline: optimisation of our mobile view, product page improvements, checkout conversion improvements, support rapid development of landing pages...
Attitude and attributes
This role would suit someone with a positive attitude and a thirst for testing and improving. Someone who is a quick learner and enjoys new challenges. Good communication skills are a must.
We expect our developers to take ownership of their tasks and follow up on completed work.
Working knowledge and experience of the following is required
- Git/Github workflow
Familiarity with the following (not essential). Learning new skills is part of the job.
- Experience in an online retail environment
- New Relic
- Amazon AWS/S3
- Google Big Query
- Test first
- Code is shared, along with responsibility
- If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it
- Less code means fewer bugs
* as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible, the role will start as a working from home role with a view to be office based once everything is back to normal so please consider location when applying
Please apply with your CV and brief cover letter.