Senior Systems Designer - New IP
Based at our studio in the heart of Sussex in the UK, we have an excellent opportunity for a passionate game developer to join our Console Development team as a Senior Systems Designer working on our new unannounced IP.
In this role, you will be able to make a real impact on our game by collaborating and creating with our established team, developing innovative and highly engaging player and game systems for a brand new title.
As a Senior Systems Designer, you will design core player systems and other underlying gameplay systems to achieve outstanding results for our players. You will collaborate and communicate closely with the project's creative leaders to effectively deliver on the vision of the game.
On a day to day basis, you will
- Continuously look to improve gameplay, processes and techniques on the project
- Define the range and depth of the core game experience
- Balancing the systems, looking at skill ceilings, complexity, challenge and player progression
- Guide and mentor junior systems designers
- Share regular updates with the varying development disciplines across team highlighting when key achievements are identified and raising any issues.
As well as working within your own area of the project, you will work closely Level Design, Animation, Art, Audio and Production Leads.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience in player or game systems
- Experience in FPS or TPS games
- Deep understanding of game design and mechanics
- Experience of communicating and working with other functions to iterate and deliver quality design features
- Demonstrated ability to produce documentation and design that defines technical and core design elements of gameplay
- Demonstrated ability to give effective critiques and take feedback for improvement
- Eagerness to prove game mechanics early and efficiently
- Experience in feature ownership
- Experience of using UE4 in development
- Experience in a range of design roles
- Experience mentoring junior staff
- Experience as a Senior Designer in AAA studio
Currently Creative Assembly is working fully remotely and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation, with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. We will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants, and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support with a dedicated learning and development. We offer among other activities; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite confidential wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values. We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft. Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.
If this sounds like you, apply now.
Please mention you found this role on the Wired Sussex Jobs site.