This role is great for those with an aptitude for hardware and graphics looking to make a move into development QA and be part of testing our award-winning series of Total War games.
The role involves testing across a range of titles that are currently in development including DLC for existing releases and new projects in development. As a QA Technician you will have the opportunity to work alongside our development teams to debug and accurately report issues on all aspects of the game.
We are looking for someone with strong communication and organisational skills who enjoys playing Total War and other strategy games who can apply a methodical approach testing to find a wide variety of compatibility, graphics, and performance bugs. They will need to be able to work with various disciplines within game development including graphics, tech-art, and tools to provide detailed reproduction steps for bugs.
The ideal candidate will have experience of PC hardware and assembly, and a background or qualifications in a relevant field of software testing. They will be familiar with development cycles for games and can work under direction to complete tasks in the given time frames. They will have experience working to deadlines and be able to give objective, constructive assessments of titles and features.
The primary functions of the role are to provide a clear assessment of a game’s compatibility, graphical functionality, and performance at key milestones of projects. This will be achieved by finding, grading, and reporting defects diligently and concisely, as well as aiding in the reproduction and further investigation of issues as required, subsequently communicating key defects, feedback, testing requirements, and potential risks to stakeholders in both QA and the rest of the development team.
You will be responsible for following set tasks and objectives from structured test plan runs that need to be followed precisely to open destructive testing. You will thoroughly test every assigned area using debugging tools to help aid in reproduction and testing.
Working with the rest of QA and the development team, you will aim to provide the highest quality overall release of each title worked on by the given deadlines.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Ability to follow set process and a methodical approach when investigating issues.
- Well-rounded knowledge of PC hardware.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relay important information in the most suited format.
- Proficient time management and organisational skills, able to handle multiple tasks and meet set deadlines and priorities.
- A familiarity of Microsoft Office suite of software.
- Wide ranging experience playing a variety of PC video games including the Real-Time Strategy genre of games.
- A passion for video games and a desire to be part of the creative process involved in developing video games.
- Ability to build a PC from parts to Windows booting with minimal advice or assistance.
- A good understanding of game graphics features and settings.
- ISTQB testing qualification.
- Previous QA Experience working in Games or other related software testing fields.
- Experience playing a wide range of titles in the Total War franchise both new and old.
- Knowledge of the development process and the various disciplines involved.
- Experience using bug and task tracking software, such as JIRA.
- Strong Excel skills, for example: able to distill large amounts of information into concise figures and results in short order.
Please note, we cannot sponsor a VISA for this position so applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK.
Currently Creative Assembly is working fully remotely and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation, with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. We will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants, and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support with a dedicated learning and development. We offer among other activities; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite confidential wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values. We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft. Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.
If this sounds like you, apply now.
Please mention that you saw this role on the Wired Sussex jobsite.