Wordpress & Front End Developer
- Sensible Development Ltd
- Brighton + Flexible home working
- Front-End Development
- Full-Time, Flexible
- Contract Type
There are two key parts to this role; Wordpress development and frontend development.
We will be spending the next 6 months developing a set of new services in the markets we work in. We are going to prototype these using Wordpress. This will enable us to test the market and adapt quickly. Once we are happy with market take up, we will integrate them into our main platform which is written in Java.
We also have a range of product development ideas on our core platform (which is written in Java/JSP) which require a lot of frontend work. We want to improve the quality of our frontend, develop our user interfaces and improve the workflow of our admin system. This will mean having good technical skills so that we can improve the user experience.
Some of this will involve writing Wordpress plugins to bridge between Wordpress and Java platforms. Some of this will involve playing with out existing UI templates and putting in front end improvements.
You will be in the thick of it helping us make decisions. You will see how we take ideas from a range of sources, take part in discussions on how best to turn those ideas in to reality and then help us implement them. We work on a democratic basis and will always listen to your ideas. You will not only improve your frontend programming skills but also learn how the commercial side of the business influences and informs the technical side. This will help you understand how technology is used to improve our client’s business and how software is developed in the real world.
You will be someone who is a keen technologist, who lives and breathes web development and has a natural interest is keeping up to date with the latest ideas and technologies. We are looking for someone to grow with us and develop a set of skills complementary to our products and existing team and help us grow as a company.
Product and Delivery Manager
- Development of new platforms using Wordpress and services from the ground up based upon agreed specifications.
- Sourcing and integrating plugins to integrate with third party services such as only payments and fulfilment services
- Experience building and customising WordPress themes
- Implementation of new designs created by our designer
- Improvement of the UX for our existing products
- A good understanding of modern web standards and best practices
- Able to work with attention to detail within brand and design guidelines
- A finger on the pulse of new and emerging front end technologies
Key Skills and Experience
You will have a good eye for design, be smart, self-motivated, and focussed. You enjoy learning and developing new skills.
- At least 3 years’ experience as a frontend developer as well as similar Wordpress experience.
- An interest in UX/UI and creating a consistent, accessible, and responsive design across multiple devices
- We will expect you to have a good Wordpress and Wordpress development skills
- We will expect you to have a good PHP skills.
- A good knowledge of Bootstrap and other frameworks such as Node.js,
- Ability to manage own priorities in line with timeframes and priority of delivery
- Relevant technology degree or equivalent
- A passion for Quality and contributing to the quality culture within the team
- Ability to continuously develop relevant skills on the job
- Analytical mind set
- Logical and methodical with excellent attention to detail
- Calm under pressure
Useful but not Essential
- Experience in iOS and/or Android app development
- It would be good to have a good knowledge of Backbone
- Our stack uses Nginx, Tomcat, Java & MySQL so any previous experience in these may be beneficial but not essential
- A salary commensurate with experience
- Permanent and full-time employment
- Flexible working (We are 100% remote working at the moment but may return to the office for a day or 2 a week once the Covid-19 pandemic is under control).
- Regular appraisals with personal development plan and objective setting
- Working and being a part of a progressive workplace and growing company on international projects
- We have no-blame culture where we all benefit and learn from our mistakes; even the Managing Director.
- Be part of a company who believes in ethical business. We have aspirations to work towards BCorp Certification.
- 20 days holiday per year + an extra 3 days in between Christmas and New Year + Bank Holidays.