UI Developer - HTML & CSS
We're looking for someone to join our Chichester team and create great responsive experiences for both new and existing clients in e-commerce, hospitality and beyond.
You will work with our designers, PHP developers, and other UI developers to deliver beautiful websites and champion front-end best practice across all our sites.
You should be able to show us some examples of how you have a real eye for the little details and care about doing Good Work.
We don't expect you to know everything already, but here are some of the skills we hope you have some experience with or are actively learning:
- You have a track record of getting things done and can show us some work you're proud of.
- You know about how to create responsive layouts in CSS.
- You have some experience serving responsive images with HTML5.
- You're enthusiastic about new browser technologies and love learning about how and when to use them (and when not to).
- You understand modern HTML5 semantics - when and why to use particular markup for both SEO and accessibility.
- You've used a CSS preprocessor for both efficiency and abstraction. We use SASS, but LESS skills are pretty transferable.
There are some other areas that would be a great help and really push someone up that "dependent upon experience" scale:
- You've got your hands dirty with a front end workflow tool like Grunt, Gulp, Broccoli or one of the many others. Currently we use Gulp but the exact tool isn't important.
- You're familiar with what affects front-end performance and how to measure it.
- You have been exposed to, and are hopefully enthusiastic about, BEM - we are.
- You've worked with git and ideally GitHub.
- You have the skills to build and test responsive emails. If you've done that in the Campaign Monitor ecosystem, even better.
- You know your way around a bit of PHP. This is a front end role, but being able to fiddle around in PHP templates would make life a little easier for everyone.
- You've worked or played with some of the more technical HTML5 technologies like Canvas and WebGL.
Our studio is in Chichester and we run fairly flexible working hours.
We provide everyone with a MacBook Pro, breakfast and an employee perks scheme. We also organise weekly team lunches here in Chichester and monthly gatherings with our sister office in London.
You also get access to dental care, a pension, a cycle to work scheme and a Treehouse account for improving your skills.
You can see a sample of the kind of work we do in our portfolio but here are a few less visible front-end projects we've been enjoying recently:
- An engraving tool for Monica Vinader that allows users to customise jewellery with text and doodles using HTML5 Canvas.
- An iPad based system for Sipsmith's 100 Martinis events where customers choose and order cocktails at their table.
- A WebGL rendering engine for Loopie to create beautiful 3D visualisations of cyclists' GPS tracks.
If this sounds like you, apply below.
D3R is an equal opportunities employer and actively welcomes applications from anyone (except recruitment agencies).
Due to Covid-19, our team members, who were all previously office based, are currently working remotely, so the above mentioned lunches and meet ups are all proceeding virtually. Depending on timing, government guidelines etc, the successful candidate for this role may be onboarded remotely and start to work remotely, though the current expectation is that they will commence working from one of our 2 offices when conditions and government guidance allow for a safe return. Depending on individuals and their particular circumstances, there may be some flexibility in this regard and is something that we can discuss with the right candidate.