The Unit is looking for an ambitious and experienced Technical Lead to join our fast paced design and development agency in the heart of the North Laine. You’ll join a creative, multi-disciplined team of developers UX/UI designers, and digital project managers in the delivery of varied, interesting and complex digital projects.
At The Unit a Technical Lead’s role and responsibilities are split between the overall management and smooth running of the technical department, with hands on development and the successful delivery of technical projects.
You’ll be working collaboratively to steer highly robust, secure and scalable solutions; working in a number of languages, platforms and frameworks and will be able to apply yourself quickly to any given project. From pitch and analysis through implementation, integration, testing, debugging, delivery and ongoing support; you’ll provide technical direction throughout the whole lifecycle of projects.
This role will also involve managing and mentoring more junior members of the team, QA’ing output and ensuring they are constantly improving and performing to a high standard.
Responsibilities and experience:
You’ll be able to:
- Analyse technical requirements and restraints, design solutions and architectural blueprints that achieve business objectives for our clients.
- Provide input into proposals, pitches, SOW and internal documents, producing consistently well written and professional technical documentation
- Write elegant, scaleable and decoupled code which is easy to read and well documented.
- Contribute to project plans by providing accurate estimates on development and build times with appropriate contingency, ensuring that the overall delivery of projects are on time and on budget.
- Articulate and communicate technical details in straightforward terms to non-technical people
- Drive consistent standards and inspire a passion for learning, keeping up to date with new technical trends and technologies.
- Juggle multiple commitments through exceptional time management
- Collaborate with the UX/UI designers to understand design concepts, and advise how they can be implemented technically within constraints
We’d like you to have:
- Worked in an Agile (ideally agency) environment, feeding into sprint reviews and collaborating with the team to evolve products over the course of a project mitigating pitfalls and keeping projects on track
- Experience working through the recruitment life cycle of development teams, from assessing resource needs, reviewing applications, conducting interviews, shortlisting candidates, writing technical tests through to onboarding
- Experience of working with Info-Sec teams to ensure applications are secure and processes are compliant
- Experience managing and mentoring more junior members of a team and be able to lead by example and foster a focus on excellence across the development team.
As an agency we work on a variety of different projects of varying sizes, with each project using a tech stack appropriate for the project. As such the ideal candidate will have hands-on experience across a range of technologies, languages and patterns, and will have the ability and confidence to quickly learn new skills as required.
- Strong experience developing across the entire stack including both frontend and backend development, as well as designing and implementing application infrastructure, ideally using AWS.
- Strong, provable experience working with React and NodeJS, ideally using TypeScript for both.
- Strong, provable experience writing Object Oriented PHP, ideally using the Laravel Framework
- Strong understanding of both Functional and Object Oriented programming, with hands-on experience using both paradigms.
- Strong understanding of different design patterns and architectures including MVC and Event Driven architectures.
- Excellent frontend development skills, including HTML, CSS, JS and task runners & bundlers (Grunt, Gulp, Webpack, etc)
- Ability to utilise and build RESTful API web services.
- Previous exposure to Continuous Delivery & Automated Testing Approaches
- A good understanding of various hosting/server setups using cloud systems (Fortrabbit, Google Cloud, Amazon AWS
- Using AWS Lambdas and the Serverless framework.
- Experience across a range of AWS services, including using CloudFormation to deploy infrastructure.
- Drupal development.
- An understanding and experience of containerization and related technologies, e.g., Docker.
- Experience with Test Driven Development processes, plus an understanding and experience in coding to SOLID principles
- A level of Python experience
- Mobile Application development
- An interest in IoT and connected devices such as chatbots
- Knowledge or experience using AI systems (custom or third party services)
Due to the pandemic this role is currently remote. However we are a creative, sociable bunch and value face to face collaboration and staff meets that don't involve Google or Zoom. So if you value this too we will love working with you in person too.
Please send a cover letter with your CV so we can learn a bit more about you; why you love what you do, and what you love to do outside of work (pandemic restrictions aside!).
- Flexible working arrangements
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Regular socials and friendly team mates
- A creative studio environment in the heart of the North Laine
- Cycle to work scheme