Head of Content and Web
IMEX Group - What We Do
IMEX Group delivers two vibrant trade shows each year for the global meeting and events industry. IMEX in Frankfurt and IMEX America (Las Vegas) each attract around 15,000 participants.
Our shows facilitate face-to-face business meetings between exhibitors (who include international hotel chains, convention bureaux, destination management companies, and tech providers) and meeting and event planners.
Every show also features professional, free education and numerous networking and co-located events run by our global partner network. This means our IMEX shows have become must-attend events for anyone working in the global meeting and events industry.
During 2020 the IMEX team have remained 65 - strong and pivoted to produce an award-winning virtual experience for our customers – PlanetIMEX.com
We are looking for an experienced and creative web and content lead who will plan and deliver a new and industry-leading online presence elevating IMEX’s digital offering to a 365 day a year platform providing the business events industry a new source of inspiration and connections.
Based in the Marcomms team of 12 the newly created role of Head of Content and Web will have overall responsibility of IMEX Groups’ website portfolio and all content marketing initiatives including managing a small team of content creators and website contributors.
This role will join a newly created, self-managing senior unit within the Marcomms team that share company-wide leadership responsibilities.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Overall responsibility for IMEX Group’s websites (imex-frankfurt.com, imex-frankfurt.de, imexamerica.com, imexexhibitions.com, and customer portal websites):
- Lead the strategy of our “domain matrix” to suit modern business needs.
- Set the overall strategy of our sites including clear objectives and key results (or KPIs).
- Set the development schedules (with Event Tech team and external developers) and action these.
- Work with the internal team of CMS (Drupal) contributors including the Senior Publications Manager, content creators, designers, and marketers to ensure timely updates to all sites.
- Work with the Event Tech team on the development of customer portals and their interface with the public-facing websites.
- Recommend and implement a comprehensive SEO (organic and technical), web optimization, and conversion strategy (with the support of digital marketers).
- Contribute to the future “digital transformation” journey of IMEX including virtual events, networking initiatives, and commercial development opportunities.
- Explore and recommend tech partners for the websites to meet key objectives such as increased personalization or building digital connections.
- Recommend and implement revenue-generating projects for our web estate.
- Report regularly data and insights from our digital portfolio.
Planning and content strategy creation:
- Lead the creation and delivery of an annual content calendar, increasing the current output significantly.
- Scope out and implement a new “content hub” for IMEX Group.
- Collaborate closely with the current publications and content creation team to build the new strategy.
- Work closely with the Knowledge & Events team to build the content strategy.
- Ensure all content is aligned to our mission, vision &values, long term strategic priorities, and annual company goals.
- Consider pre-existing segmentation, personas, and audience types and plan relevant content for these groups.
- Budget for, negotiate, and manage any resources required for the delivery of the content calendar.
- Receive, review, and/or act on content ideas from other areas of the business such as the Leadership Team, Knowledge & Events, and People & Talent teams.
- Stay ahead of trends in content marketing to ensure we remain the best in class.
Co-ordinate overall content delivery:
- Co-ordinate the current content creation team to ensure all skills and specialisms are maximised.
- Elevate the quality of our content with a new focus on design, increased personalization, and measurement metrics.
- With the team, plan and resource more “thought leadership” level content to maintain our position as an innovator in the industry.
Develop existing and new content forms including:
- Interviews (e.g. speakers, influencers, exhibitors, IMEX staff).
- Longform research reports (usually with an external research partner).
- Case studies and testimonials.
- eBooks/whitepapers or other downloadable PDF products.
- Data based reports and analysis content.
- Market research-based reporting form in-depth surveys to quick polls.
- Trends reporting and tracking.
- Insights from outside the business events industry (e.g. trends in consumer travel).
- Collaborative projects with partners (e.g. a media partners).
- Blogs and other online articles such as listicles, top 10s, “what went wrong”, Q&As and FAQs.
Other forms of content you will oversee are :
- Webinars (with the Knowledge & Events team)
- Infographics and other designed content.
- “How to guides” and checklists.
- Onsite content collection to feed the content calendar.
- User-generated content.
- Social media-specific content.
- Exhibitor based content.
- “Light touch” pieces to surprise and entertain such as GIF, Memes, quizzes, competitions.
All of the above to be “re-sliced” where possible to maximise engagement with our key audiences and ultimately grow an online community.
Work with IMEX Group’s channel experts to share and amplify content through:
- Websites (including gated content projects for data gathering).
- IMEX publications including the IMEXfiles, onsite publications, and app.
- All Social Media channels.
- Email marketing.
- Webinars and other virtual events.
- Presentations at live or virtual events.
- Onsite at IMEX Shows.
- At IMEX Sponsored events.
- Using third party channels and influencers to broaden our content’s reach where possible.
Tracking, analysis, and organisation of content:
- All new content should be tracked and measurable with a view to better understanding its value and setting future KPIs for content pieces.
- Align content to SEO, SEA, and other digital marketing initiatives to maximize content visibility.
- Test and experiment with new and different content forms to inform future strategy.
- Regularly report the success of the content calendar internally.
- Oversee the organisation and storage of content including possibly recommending new D.A.M tech tools.
About you, the essentials:
- Proven experience in a website management level role.
- Experience in managing either content, web, or marketing team members.
- A proven track record of planning and producing “thought leadership” level content.
- Experienced in producing a range of different content forms.
- A self-starter with the ability to research independently using a wide variety of sources.
- Hold an opportunistic mindset and actively seek out new connections and collaborations.
- Openness to continually expand and learn new content skills for you and the team.
- A high level of quality, detail, and accuracy is required.
- A high level of organisational skills is required including the ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel to industry events and engage with international stakeholders.
- Ability to present content and willingness to become an IMEX ambassador.
Also, nice to have would be:
- Experience in managing change projects.
- Experience in online events or networking platforms or technology.
- Experience with marketing automation tools e.g. Hubspot.
- Experience in using DAM systems.
- Experience in designing content for mobile interfaces.
- Experience with UI/UX.
- A knowledge of (or interest in) the business events or travel industry.
- Working with commercial or advertising teams to monetize digital assets.
- Publishing/ media experience.
- Proficiency in any foreign language is always valued at IMEX.
IMEX Group - Our Values
Lead by a young, pioneering CEO, Quality, Inspiration, and Collaboration are the company values that underpin everything we do. Our “organising principle” is The Family Table which describes the spirit of our leadership team and our 60+ employees. In short, everyone has a place. Everyone has a voice.
IMEX Group - Our Team Rewards
Join our hardworking, innovative, and collaborative team and you’ll receive:
- A highly competitive salary
- A brand new, flexible working policy including the opportunity for some remote working
- Newly refurbished, central Brighton & Hove offices with subsidised parking
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare and confidential employee assistance programme
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Travel to Frankfurt and Las Vegas most years
- Monthly “First Friday” drinks with guest speakers and even a wrap party in Las Vegas!
- Recognition programme to reward good deeds and make the office a fun place to work
- A culture promoting your health – In-house Pilates, massages, meditation…and fruit!
- Personal development opportunities ranging from access to ground-breaking conferences to in-house training and team building days
- Our social responsibility both locally and to the industry is important to IMEX – We allow time for voluntary work and we love a good bake day to raise funds!
- The opportunity to work cross-team on what matters to you in one of our voluntary “squads” e.g. our Diversity and Inclusion or Green squads which influence the business and even our industry