The purpose of this role is to work within the digital team to build exciting websites and digital experiences. Working on one of the primary touchpoints of our client’s communications it’s a key role in helping deliver brands and campaigns.
UnitedUs have a strong and growing digital team consisting of UX specialists, designers, and developers. Our focus is on creating experiences that communicate brands in exciting ways, making their audience take notice, and ensuring they stand out for their purpose. Working with the wider UnitedUs team of brand designers and strategists, the digital team is responsible for setting out how brands work in a digital space, and delivering on this.
- To build websites with a brand and UX focus that provide outstanding performance and reliability - primarily using WordPress as a CMS and developing custom themes.
- To work closely with clients to establish trusted and long-term relationships.
- Working end-to-end on new projects and working with existing clients to support their websites and help deliver on their evolving projects.
- Collaborate with strategy peers and report to the Digital Director and Senior Developer.
- Be a positive influence on the organisation, be prepared for and welcome the creative and strategic challenges that the role will present and maintain a positive approach to resolve them.
Technologies we use:
We use the following technologies - you don’t have to be an expert in all of them, and we’re open to new ideas where there is a strong business case.
- Beanstalk App
- Figma (you don’t need to be a designer)
As a web developer you will need to take a holistic approach to your work by having an appreciation of all the factors that have an impact on the project. Balancing the needs of the client and their users, technological implications and budgets, and strategy and design considerations. This requires an open mind with a drive to use your skills to solve problems that stretch beyond the code.
You will be able to speak to clients and the team in a way that makes what you do accessible and understandable, working with them to proactively solve problems and add a level of flair to the projects you deliver. UnitedUs is formed on ideas of collaboration so you will spend a lot of time with the other members of the team.
Everyone at UnitedUs works hard to build lasting relationships with our clients, you will need to play an active role in this and need to be able to communicate effectively and in a timely manner.
Essential experience and skillsets include:
- Expertise in the basics: HTML, CSS, PHP.
- Understand how your work impacts security, performance, accessibility, and SEO.
- Ability to inspire high standards and maintain great team morale.
- A high level of IT skills and Mac proficiency.
- Examples of end-to-end website builds.
- Clear, concise, and compelling written and spoken presentation.
- Able to learn Gulp.
- An understanding of setting up and deploying to hosting environments.
- An understanding of DNS management.
- Digital creative industry experience.
- Confidence to make decisions when armed with clear goals and values.
- Ability to work independently
UnitedUs recognises that our dedicated team help the business to achieve ambitious goals by going the extra mile. We, in turn, reward their dedication and commitment by building a culture of reward for our people who are fully supportive of the organisation and the place we want to build. With this in mind we are always finding ways to support the health and wellbeing of our team, foster inclusivity and champion diversity.
We made the decision to move the whole business to remote working two weeks before lockdown started, and we will be continuing in this vein until a point where it becomes viable to return to the studio. In the meantime, we've found new ways of supporting the team and our culture - from access to free Headspace accounts to virtual coffee catchups and virtual team events. We recognise that some of you might be shielding at this time and we would still urge you to apply - we can arrange for virtual interviews instead of in person. But equally, if you're happy or would prefer to meet us in real life, then we can arrange a suitable safe way to do so.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to us, we'd love to see some work examples and to understand why you think you'd be a great fit for our team. Please also provide salary expectations within your application.
You must already have the right to work in the UK to be considered for the role.
We particularly welcome applications from under-represented groups in the creative industry including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates.