Senior Web Developer
- Brighton, UK and remote.
- £35,000 to £45,000 dependent on experience
- Back-End Development, Full Stack Development, Software Engineering
- Mid-Level, Senior-Level
- Full-Time, Flexible
- Contract Type
We particularly welcome applications from under-represented groups in the tech industry.
Are you an experienced developer who...
- Has a record of delivering projects and supporting more junior colleagues in their craft?
- Enjoys evaluating new technologies and applying them in the real world?
- Can work closely with team mates and clients to solve problems at scale?
- Really cares about the work they do and the impact it has in the world?
If you can answer yes to the questions above then we’d love to hear from you.
This is an opportunity to work as part of a dedicated team doing outstanding work for internationally renowned clients such as The National Portrait Gallery, Canadian Museum of Human Rights, and Hammer Museum in Los Angeles.
We build large-scale websites that are built to last. Two thirds of our team are technical and no two projects are the same. You will enjoy getting under the skin of a problem and working with others to find the right solutions for our clients and their audience.
We use a variety of technologies, such as:
- Python, Node.js
- Solr, Elasticsearch
- Vue.js, React
- Git, Docker, Ansible, CircleCI, PHPUnit, Behat
- AWS including EC2, RDS, Aurora, Lambda, Fargate
- Machine learning, AutoML OCR, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision
This list is always evolving. An inquisitive mind is essential; we constantly assess new technologies to help improve our practice. See our blog for more insight into our innovation programme.
Day-to-day you’ll be helping cultural institutions from around the world get the most out of digital. You’ll be building web apps, CMS-based websites and custom solutions to problems we haven’t even thought of yet. Our clients have a lot of fascinating content, from contemporary art collections to ancient Arabic manuscripts. You’ll have the opportunity to help them present millions of items in a coherent, accessible and user-friendly way.
All our work is done in an environment that promotes collaboration and learning in the truest sense. 2020 has proven that this culture goes beyond our usual office workspace in central Brighton; the team has adapted to remote working whilst maintaining the supportive collaboration we take pride in. You’ll be working as part of a multi-disciplinary team where everyone’s opinion counts. This is the perfect environment for you to push your career and skills to the next level.
Who we are
Cogapp is a truly international digital agency working with clients from Los Angeles to Abu Dhabi. We specialise in delivering ambitious projects that demonstrably improve the lives of the people using them.
We are based in Brighton, UK. We have an office five minutes from the station. Having adopted flexible and remote working during lockdown, we would be delighted to hear from applicants from across the UK and beyond.
Our clients include leading museums, archives, arts and cultural organisations.
Our mission is:
- To produce work that is well-conceived and beautifully executed; work that enriches the lives of the people who use it and creates outstanding long-term value for our clients.
- To provide great careers for an outstanding team.
- To build on 30 years of our sustainable, growing and profitable business.
Cogapp has a great staff retention rate with a dependable management team who take staff well-being seriously. Find out more about our team.
Examples of our work
A new site for the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, Texas. This Drupal 8 site integrates with third-party ticketing as well as the museum’s collection management system, the contents of which are served to the user via Solr.
We continue to develop the Arabian Gulf Digital Archive which brings the history of the Gulf online. The project used a range of innovative technologies including machine learning and the International Image Interoperability Framework to make previously inaccessible material available for study and research in both English and Arabic.
We worked with Liberty Human Rights on their Keep Britain Kind campaign. This is an issue close to our hearts.
A site showcasing the incredible archive of Yiddish literature at The Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts. This site facilitates research in both English and Yiddish.
If helping deliver this kind of work to an award-winning standard sounds like something you’d like to do, please get in touch, we’d love to hear from you.
Salary and benefits
£35,000 - £45,000 a year plus bonus, depending on experience
There are lots of other benefits including:
- 33 days holiday including bank holidays increasing by a day for each year of service up to 38
- Excellent training and career development
- Bonus scheme
- 1 to 1 matched pension contributions up to 5% of salary
- Exploring your own ideas using up to 4 hours independent research time per week
- Innovation programme including company-wide hack-days every two months
- Yearly charitable donation from company profits
- Award winning Employee Assistance Programme providing independent advice on health and well-being
- Flexible working
- Tax-free bike scheme
And these activities, in-person in ‘normal’ times but remote since lockdown:
- Conference attendance
- Regular skill-swapping team lunches with locally-sourced food to fuel us
- Team ‘fun’ - previously including a local history walk, calligraphy, flint knapping and a boat trip to the wind farm
- Cocktail parties and summer sports days (frisbee, rounders, nothing too energetic)
- Company-wide 🍰 every Thursday
And one we’re missing at the moment:
- International travel (with carbon offsetting, read our environmental sustainability policy)
IMPORTANT: We will be reviewing applications as they arrive and may appoint more than one applicant: please do not delay in applying.
Currently we are conducting our recruitment process remotely; we expect to hold all interviews over Zoom for the foreseeable future.
Cogapp is an equal opportunities employer and has a policy for this purpose. This policy covers all aspects of the employment process, from vacancy advertising to selection and training. Our workplace is free from unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, marital status, disability, sex, sexuality or age. You can read more about this in our diversity policy.
We take data protection seriously, for information about how we handle your data please see our privacy notice.
We will not be working with recruitment agencies to fill this position. There's no need to call us about that.