- American Express
- Sussex House, Burgess Hill
- Back-End Development, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering
- Contract Type
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team! You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering world-class cardmember experiences.
You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proof of concept to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers. Software Engineers who join our Global Benefits Manager Technology team will be assigned to one of several exciting teams that are developing a new, nimble, and modern loyalty platform which will support the key element of connecting with our customers where they are and how they choose to interact with American Express.
Be part of an enthusiastic, high performing technology team developing solutions to drive engagement and loyalty within our existing cardmember base and attract new customers to the Amex brand. The position will also play a critical role partnering with other development teams, testing and quality, and production support, to meet implementation dates and allow smooth transition throughout the development life-cycle.
The successful candidate will be focused on building and executing against a strategy and roadmap focused on moving from monolithic, tightly coupled, batch based legacy platforms to a loosely coupled, event-driven, microservices-based architecture to meet our long-term business goals.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer who can build high quality software using a modern development stack - Golang/Java. At least 6 months of Golang experience is preferred. We will also look at Engineers with an interest/ability in learning & working with Golang, in an enterprise environment.
- Experience in application design, software development, and testing, preferably in an Agile environment.
- Experience working with Git on small to medium sized teams.
- Experience with open-source frameworks is a plus – especially maintaining or contributing to open-source projects.
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases, including PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, redis, Couchbase, or Cassandra is desired.
- Experience designing and developing REST APIs for high volume clients
- Experience with continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Gitlab CI).
- Experience with automated build and test frameworks.
- A desire to learn new technologies and translate them into working software.
- Experience with container and container orchestration technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with Atlassian software development and collaboration tools (Bitbucket, JIRA, Confluence, etc.).
- Strong ability to develop unique, outside the box ideas.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving/quantitative skills.
- Willing to take risks, experiment, and share fresh perspectives.
- Aptitude for learning and applying programming concepts.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external business partners.
- Contributions to opensource projects/inner source is a plus.
- Knowledge of payments industry.
- Coding skills across a variety of distributed technologies.
- Knowledge and experience of broad range of software languages and payments technologies.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.