ABOUT BRIGHTLOCAL AND THE ROLE
BrightLocal is a SaaS platform that helps digital marketing agencies and brands with local online marketing.
We have over 5,000 customers and work with big brands such as REED Recruitment, Wagamama and Paddy Power. These companies depend on BrightLocal to help them improve their local online performance to deliver greater traffic and new customers.
Launched in 2009, we have an established and respected brand in the industry and are known for our authoritative research and webinars as much as our specialist search-reporting platform. Our industry leading research is regularly picked up by mainstream media like the Guardian, Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.
We employ 170 people across 4 countries – UK, USA, Ukraine and the Philippines. Brighton is our HQ and our global management and operational hub.
We are a people-focused business and are fully committed to giving every team member the most positive work experience possible. We do this by providing abundant opportunities to learn new skills, building fantastic working relationships, and supporting you in realising your life goals, all within a culture that cherishes individuality and champions teamwork and collaboration.
We also like to have fun, with regular team-building activities, which include things like escape rooms, cocktail making, sailing, scavenger hunts and plenty of team meals and social nights out.
Please take a look at our Glassdoor profile to find out more about the type of business and employer we are: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Jobs/BrightLocal-Jobs-E2096468.htm
ABOUT THE ROLE
BrightLocal's educational, informative and newsworthy content sits at the heart of our brand, but we're often so focused on what's next, we sometimes miss opportunities to test and build on the SEO of what we already have. We write about SEO all the time, but rarely have the time to practice what we preach! Despite this, search traffic has been, and remains to be, key to our business's growth: nearly half of our leads come from search.
That's why we're looking for a talented writer with a passion for on-page SEO to help define and implement an optimisation strategy for our existing and future content. We're performing well, but this role offers a big opportunity to help accelerate growth further.
You'll use your analytical skills to research and understand our content's SEO performance, and your writing and optimisation skills to update and inform what we publish.
You'll report into the Head of Content, under supervision from the Head of Marketing, in a small but highly collaborative Content Team that takes pride in every piece published and revels in every link, like, and ranking earned.
Our strong spirit of collaboration within the team means that you'll also have opportunities to work on a variety of marketing projects, such as guest contributions, webinars, virtual events and our training academy.
This role is a particularly good fit for someone with agency experience looking to go in-house, as we highly value the depth and breadth of experience that agency SEO work brings. And if you love SEO, this is the perfect opportunity to work for a company that lives and breathes it, every day!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE
- You'll have 2+ years' experience in a digital marketing agency
- You'll have excellent written and communication skills
- You'll have a true passion (we don't use that word lightly!) for on-page SEO, and find yourself absorbed in all relevant news and updates as they happen
- You'll see our wealth of content as a lab for testing new optimisation techniques, and be keen to share your results
- You'll have experience in performing SERP and keyword research, and use this to inform our content strategy on an ongoing basis
- You consider yourself an SEO sleuth, eager to hunt down the rotten keywords, links or articles hurting our rankings
- You'll understand the importance of competitor keyword analysis, the opportunities of gap analysis and the risks inherent in cannibalisation (the SEO kind, of course)
- You'll be experienced in using SEO tools like Semrush, Ahrefs and Yoast to report on and enhance content optimisation, but be open to researching and using new tools where you might need them
- You'll have a solid understanding of Google's performance platforms, Google Analytics and Google Search Console (Data Studio is a plus!)
- You'll be familiar with using a CMS (we use WordPress), though this can easily be taught if you're not
- You'll have a desire to further develop your content production and management skills alongside your existing SEO skills
- While this isn't a technical SEO role, an understanding of how on-site structure and page experience underpins content performance would certainly be beneficial
TBC market rate
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit https://hr.breathehr.com/v/content-seo-executive-15560, click 'Apply' at the bottom of the page, fill out a few details, then upload your updated CV along with a covering letter.
We offer 25 days annual holiday (plus bank holidays) and you get a day off for your birthday, too.
The office is informal and casual. We expect people to work hard but also to enjoy their time at work. We have a constantly-stocked drinks fridge and our kitchen cupboards overflow with snacks - of both the healthy and (very) unhealthy kind.
We love to celebrate all team members’ birthdays - enjoy cakes, drinks and cards! We also make a big deal of important work anniversaries with presents and gift cards (if that's your kind of thing).
The music is always on (though we have quiet rooms, too, if you need the headspace) and we take time out every few weeks to do fun team activities. We tend to break early on a Friday afternoon to ‘prepare for the weekend’ - i.e. lots of food (snacks) and drinks (beer, wine, G&Ts and soft drinks - take your pick!)
We encourage work-life balance by enabling our employees to work abroad for up to 3 weeks a year – be it France, New Zealand, Costa Rica or Bali… the world is there to be explored and we want to help you explore it.
Every team member enters into our company bonus scheme (20% of annual salary) related to targets.
HEALTH AND WELLBEING SUPPORT
We are firm believers in supporting our team members in body and mind. We provide a diverse range of health and wellbeing benefits including Vitality Private healthcare (includes dental cover, CBT support and free access to Headspace App), free flu jabs and eye-care vouchers, weekly in-office massages and a comprehensive bike-to-work scheme to get people moving!
Throughout the Covid-19 pandemic our team have been working remotely to help keep them safe and avoid further spreading of the virus. This approach will continue until it is declared safe for us to return to the office, and we can safely work side by side again.
However, we will continue to support each individual’s choice to work for home until they personally feel safe and happy to return to the office.
We feel incredibly fortunate that BrightLocal has remained stable and profitable throughout the pandemic and we remain on track to hit our revenue and growth goals for 2020.
We have been able to support any struggling customers with long-term payment holidays and through additional training and support. We have had zero redundancies and have grown many of the teams across the business to ensure that we are in a strong position to help and support our growing customer base in 2021 and beyond.