Unicorn Publishing Group (UPG) is looking to hire a new Publishing Assistant based in our Sussex production office. UPG is a leading independent publisher with four imprints producing titles on a wide range of subjects including the visual arts, cultural history, military history, historical fiction and health and wellbeing.
This is an opportunity for an organised, articulate and enthusiastic self-starter to join our team as the main point of contact for customers, authors and general enquiries. This position is a demanding administrative role in a small team which will allow the candidate to work across all aspects of the publishing process, liaising with sales, editorial, finance, publicity and marketing.
The ideal candidate will be a proactive problem solver with the ability to juggle the competing priorities and demands of a dynamic office. Excellent attention to detail and a personable confident manner are essential as well as numeracy skills and computer literacy in Office programmes (Excel, Word and Outlook) along with digital fluency and a working knowledge of social media. An academic background in art, history, design or publishing would be an advantage. Experience with sales or bibliographic systems would be beneficial but not essential.
There will be an expectation of some out of hours working when required for launches and events, usually in London/ South East.
A full, clean UK driving licence with access to your own vehicle is essential, due to remote location.
This role will be required to be in the office full time and is not able to work remotely. The office is currently located near Lewes but a relocation within Sussex is expected within the next 6 months.
Key skills and attributes:
- Ability to multi-task on numerous tasks and projects simultaneously
- Flexible approach to work and adaptability to work environment
- Ability to stay calm and professional under pressure
- An upbeat, cheerful demeanour
- An interest in the publishing industry
Additional non-essential attributes:
- Experience in publishing and sales and/or digital marketing
- University degree in relevant subject
- Understanding of image licensing and research process
- Experience of using/maintaining databases and content management systems
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, and Office programmes
- Proofreading and copywriting skills
- Previous experience of office environment/assisting at events
Publishing Assistant tasks include:
- Perform general office duties which involve meeting and greeting visitors, dealing with incoming telephone and website enquires, and ensuring the team are well prepared for meetings and have the appropriate documents
- Managing the office, stocking supplies, regular stock checks and maintain filing system for author contracts/industry contact details
- Managing post via Royal Mail and courier services as well as accepting deliveries
- Provide general support for the company directors and act as out of office contact for colleagues as and when needed
- Collating and entering data for author royalty statements alongside accounts
- Assisting with organising and attending meetings, events and book fairs
- Managing and maintaining our e-commerce platforms and processing orders including author copies, trade sales via Marston and gratis copies.
- Managing and maintaining all bibliographic data on Booksonix database
- Organise materials, samples and sales packs for sales team and publicity review requests
- Create catalogue order forms, and assist with catalogue proofing and data checking as well as other digital and printed marketing materials e.g. invitations, banners, flyers, postcards
- Scan documents for book reproduction and research and obtain images and licenses from image libraries where necessary.
Starting salary £16,500-£18,500, dependent on experience.
Deadline for applications 20th April 2021.