Who are we?
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators and employers to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
We are driving a student first mentality. This enables us to build products that students need where we can apply our USP.
What does the Lead Designer at TSR do?
We are embarking on the largest scale, ground up re-build TSR has ever seen. We’re looking for an in-house Lead designer with a broad range of experience to join, and drive forwards, our design function, and be a core part of this venture.
We’re seeking someone who can deal with requests from multiple channels, has experience in an agile working environment, and is happy to work on new opportunities as they occur. You will take pride in your work and strive for success.
You’ll report to our Head of Product, but be happy to own your own projects and processes and be confident to pitch ideas and provide updates off your own back. You will own and be responsible for the end to end design function at TSR. You will be a key voice of the user within product design and will create beautiful products taking into account user and client feedback as well as data insights and market analysis.
If you have a compelling portfolio to share with us and you have experience in transforming digital platforms through design, then we’d love to work with you.
Skills & Experience
- Extensive In-house/Agency digital design experience
- Experience managing a design request business process and/or agency pipeline with customer support experience
- Highly experienced with Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge and interest of the latest design tools and processes to make us as effective as possible, while knowing how to get the most out of what we’ve got.
- Developing, rolling out (onboarding) and executing on a design vision with proven experience in research and leadership
- Experience in business transformational re-design
- An understanding of the difference between the science behind user behaviour, and web design
- Experience in executing UX, UI, wireframes and prototyping
- An extensive web design portfolio with a proven track record of success
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and are eager to work with people across many different disciplines
- You’ll have a solid understanding of the print process and designing for print.
- Experience in After Effects and interaction design is a big plus but not essential
- Experience in line management
- Exposure or experience in UX practices
- Working knowledge of front end coding such as HTML, CSS and others
- Experience with the basics of WordPress and popular plugins that enhance functionality
- Previous experience working with youth brands
- Degree or equivalent within Digital Design or similar
This opportunity will suit someone who…
- Is ready to step up to, or improve in a senior design position within a fast pace digital company
- Is solution driven and thinks outside the box
- Has a strong and natural flare for digital design
- Is highly organised, and is not afraid to push back if needed
- Can generate quick concepts and realise ideas
- Can adapt to a broad range of artistic styles
- An ability to follow existing styles and brand guidelines
- Has a passion for technology
- Understands internet use and common user experience practices
- Enjoys keeping up to date with the ever moving internet landscape and popular websites, with a focus on youth sites
- Works well under pressure with strong attention to detail
Salary: c. £30-40k depending on experience