Chief Operating Officer
- Wired Sussex
- £40k - £45k
- Business Development, Data Analysis, Project Management
- Mid-Level, Senior-Level
- Full-Time, Flexible
- Contract Type
Wired Sussex are looking for a new Chief Operating Officer who can help both Wired Sussex and the sector we support to prosper and grow.
Wired Sussex sits at the heart of one of the most creative and dynamic digital, media and technology clusters in the UK. We provide a wide range of tailored services and support to businesses, organisations and individuals in that sector.
We operate with a small and dedicated team that helps our organisation punch significantly above its weight.
We need someone with a strong grasp of the operational, financial and people needs of a not-for-profit business like ours. This is a practical, get-stuck-in role for an individual who is happy to turn strategy into deliverables and manage people and processes. It may suit someone with strong operations or HR experience who wants to step up a level. A demonstrable interest in digital businesses is a must.
The role consists of:
- Supporting the MD as a member of the Senior Management Team - helping provide input into strategy, and reporting on activity, outcomes and lessons learned.
- People - supporting the growth and development of a team, ensuring their well-being and productivity, onboarding of new staff, assessments, HR contracts and legal obligations, line management.
- Financials - managing and tracking income and expenditure, budgets, forecasts, annual accounts, etc,
- Operations - management of our workspace (the FuseBox), and supplier relationships, engagement with key customers and clients.
- Resourcing and supporting project activity.
- Legal - Compliance monitoring, contract management, data protection, and providing support to the Wired Sussex board.
The role reports directly to the Managing Director.
The ideal candidate will have experience of:
- Supporting employee growth
- Operational management
- Financial management & forecasting
- Supporting both project and service-based activities
- Effectively problem-solving
And will also
- Be comfortable working remotely where required, and able to support remote working from staff and freelancers
- Be familiar with and comfortable administering and using cloud collaboration tools including Slack, Google Drive, etc
- Have a real interest in the dynamics of our sector
We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We would especially welcome interest from women, older candidates, LGBTQ and those from working class, black and minority ethnic backgrounds.
Salary £40k - £45k pa, plus benefits.
We anticipate this will be a full time role, but welcome applications from those who may want to work part-time, or to job share as a Co-COO via a division of responsibilities.
Based at the FuseBox, New England House, Brighton (regulations permitting).
Please provide us with your CV together with a covering letter that tells us why you want to join Wired Sussex as COO and what you would bring to the role. We are particularly interested in any steps you would suggest putting in place to ensure that a small team is connected, collaborating and working well together.