ReedPop is looking for a Backend Web Developer to join our experienced in-house Platform team.
The Platform team works on our core systems that sit at the heart of our award winning family of games sites, utilising cutting edge technologies to equip the company with a strong foundation for the future. This is the opportunity for the right candidate to be instrumental in developing and evolving the key features of our platform.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, approachable and encourage others to meet or exceed their own high standards. They will be keen to investigate, evaluate and build using new technologies quickly.
- Write correct, maintainable code that solves business problems.
- Build scalable web services/applications within our platform and deliver them to the business on schedule.
- Collaborate with peer developers to build technical specifications for platform projects.
- Work with the team to discuss and critique engineering decisions together; participating in activities like pair programming and code review.
- Ensure the continued correctness and performance of code through automated testing.
We expect candidates to show a strong grasp of the following:
- Fluency in a common web backend language. e.g. Python, Node.js, PHP, etc
- Capability of learning and building with new technologies quickly.
- Knowledge of SQL.
The ideal candidate will have some experience in, or enthusiasm for learning the following:
- Experience in building applications with web application frameworks.
- Building and consuming web services.
- Cache design, knowing when to use it at the object level, query level and web level.
- Linux server administration and ops.
- Automated unit and acceptance testing.
We are looking for a candidate that is able to quickly get up to speed with any web technology, but you’ll have an advantage with experience of the following:
- Python, specifically django (and some PHP for legacy projects)
- Evented programming (Python asyncio or node.js)
- React JS
As a global pop culture media business, ReedPop has an extensive stable of respected editorial websites, event brands and video channels. Our editorial brands range from mainstream videogame sites to more specialist brands dedicated to the games business, PC gaming or board games, etc. Our success has come from creating authoritative, trusted content for global audiences.
Please visit www.reedpop.com to find out more.
If you can demonstrate that you have the ability to do the job listed above, all backgrounds and levels of experience are encouraged to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
The role is based from our Brighton office, but remote candidates will be considered if they have the right background and are able to travel to our office on a semi-regular or weekly basis.