Lead Developer (WordPress)
BIMM Institute is proud to be the largest and leading provider of creative arts education in Europe, with over 35 years’ experience helping students launch successful careers in Music, Film and Performing arts and located in some of Europe’s most creative cities - London, Berlin, Dublin, Brighton, Manchester, Bristol, Hamburg and Birmingham.
BIMM Institute are looking for a Lead Developer responsible for managing the global web properties of BIMM Institute and its ongoing projects. You will also evolve and maintain the overall architecture of the platform and evolve it to ensure maximum performance, scalability, and stability. This includes the day to day application of updates & changes in a (mostly) Wordpress-based environment. As well as managing hosting environments and issues. Our ideal candidate follows and adapts new technology, apps, and services that improve or enhance the customer experience. This position reports to the Group Head of Marketing Services.
- Responsible for the coding and building of large scale sites as well as microsites
- Implementation of a robust set of services and APIs to deal with varied requests
- Building reusable code and libraries for future us
- Search engine optimisation & marketing optimisation for best practices & metrically validated improvements.
- Implementation of security and data protection and conforming to new standards as needed. (SSL / GDPR / etc)
- Working closely with marketing and admissions teams to implement new ideas & target different demographics
- Closely integrating with Salesforce, Mailchimp & Optmizely as applicable to marketing needs.
- Comply with and implement as appropriate, all of BIMM's policies and procedures, with particular reference Safeguarding, Equality and Diversity, and Health and Safety.
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Deep expertise in the Wordpress CMS platform including the creation and editing of themes, plugins, child-themes, and PHP modification
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms (such as mobile vs, desktop), and optimizing output to match the specific platform
- Good understanding of server-side CSS pre-processors
- Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Management of hosting environment, including database administration, DNS and scaling an application to support load changes, experience with WP-Engine & AWS preferred
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and metrics
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, ability to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as Photoshop is a plus
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
- Ideal candidate has experience working in the education sector
- BA/BS of Computer Science / Web Development or equivalent experience
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.