We are seeking an enthusiastic and ambitious junior Commissioning Editor to help us expand our rapidly growing list of books and training materials in health and social care. Reporting to the Head of Publishing for Health and Social Care, you will research, commission, develop and deliver new titles, editions and associated resources in line with Pavilion’s overall objectives and strategies.
For ambitious candidates with creativity and commercial acumen the role offers considerable scope for job crafting, list development and subject ownership, with the guidance and support of our Head of Publishing.
Who are you?
You are likely to be working in a book/journal publishing environment at assistant or assistant editor level.
Alternatively, the role may suit a seasoned books commissioning editor seeking a new challenge or more flexible working arrangements.
Job Function Tasks and Responsibilities
- Developing and commissioning new titles in health and social care
- Planning, prioritising and carrying out work to achieve agreed targets
- Building relationships with new and established authors and editors
- Making sound, evidence-based decisions and gaining buy-in for projects
- Networking with established and rising figures in the field
- Preparing title information and accurate costings for team discussion
- Working with colleagues to brief cover designs and other marketing materials
- Attending physical and online events for market research and commissioning
- Assisting with strategic management of the publishing programme
- Experience in an editorial publishing role
- Commissioning and list management experience
- Experience of publishing in digital formats and markets
- Proven ability to build and manage internal and external relationships
- An interest in health and social care is desirable but not essential
Skills and Attributes
- A proactive, energetic and commercial approach to the publishing process
- Strong communication, influencing, networking and negotiation skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work to tight deadlines
- Experience of conducting market research to inform product strategy
- Ability to work independently while liaising effectively with team members
OLM Group is an equal opportunities employer, job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with their skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.
At OLM Group diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.