We’re a busy and growing digital agency based in central Brighton, who help our clients evolve to the ever-changing digital landscape. We take a fresh, grounded and collaborative approach to every project, taking the time to listen and understand our clients, their challenges and ambitions.
We are looking for an eager, ambitious and experienced Backend Developer to join our in-house technology team to deliver creative digital assets. You will be working on a variety of projects from small microsite builds through to long-running eCommerce implementations and everything in between. There are no typical projects at NLS, you will get to experience a truly diverse range of tasks, frequently getting the opportunity to learn new technologies, skills, and processes.
This is an ideal role for someone who wants to make a positive contribution to a development team as well as the wider company. You will have the opportunity to shape how we work, with your views and recommendations helping to finesse our approach and technology roadmap.
- Highly experienced in backend development and have the drive to get the work done
- Able to solve problems independently and as part of a team
- Recognise what you are good at and what you need to learn
- Thrive as a team player and are willing to teach and to learn
- Anticipate, predict and resolve problems before schedules are impacted
Skills and Experience
- Proven commercial experience in software/web development ideally within an agency environment
- Strong knowledge of PHP and associated frameworks, e.g. Laravel
- .NET C# experience is desirable
- Experience working with Drupal, particularly especially 8/9, is a definite advantage
- Experience building WordPress sites would be beneficial
- Experience in frontend JS frameworks, e.g. React or Vue, would be beneficial
- Ability to set up and maintain Linux based hosting environments
- Knowledge of containerization (Docker) and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience working in agile project teams
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills
- Regularly work with other developers to jointly review your own work and share best practice.
In return we can offer:
- Competitive Salary dependent on experience and potential
- Company contributory Pension Scheme
- Bonus and rewards
- Generous holiday allowance including birthday off
- Flexible working
- Personalised induction to the company, regular reviews and individual training budget
- Cycle to work scheme and money off shopping vouchers
- Central Brighton location
- Working with a talented team interested in your personal development and contribution, directly reporting to the Technical Director
- Did we mention the beer machine
- A relaxed but focused working environment, with a “no-long-hours” working culture
- The chance to have your say and make a difference in how you develop, how the company develops and how we innovate and create as a team
- An office beer machine!