Millions of people struggle with numbers. Nearly half of working age UK adults currently have the numeracy levels of a primary school age child, which has a significant negative impact on them, on employers and on society overall.
National Numeracy is a charity which aims to enable everyone across the UK to be confident and competent in using numbers and data in order to make good decisions in their daily life and at work. At National Numeracy, we work to challenge negative attitudes, influence public policy and offer practical ways of helping adults and children improve their numeracy, in the community, the workplace and within formal education. We help thousands of people to feel more comfortable about using numbers and recognise their value in everyday life.
The Covid pandemic has seen demand for our work increase. Our most recent national campaign – National Numeracy Day in May 2021 – saw more than 86,000 actions taken to improve number confidence and skills across a wide range of activities, with online events and celebrity-led activities in workplaces and schools across the UK.
“To overcome your fears, you’ve got to face them head on, and that’s what I did, with the National Numeracy Challenge. Numbers don’t scare me anymore. . . Improving my numeracy hasn’t just helped me with my kids, it’s helped me at work too. I’ve enhanced my CV and future job prospects.” Jason
• Managing the diary & travel logistics of the CEO.
• Liaising with trustees & booking trustee meetings/venues.
• Administering the preparation of board papers, agenda and minutes.
• Management of our online HR system.
• Assisting in recruitment: co-ordinating applications, arranging interviews, creating inductions for new starters.
• Arranging internal meetings and events, including staff ‘away days’.
• Act as first point of contact for IT support and the broader tech function that supports the day-to-day working of National Numeracy; including managing the relationship with our IT support service and monitoring costs against budget.
• Ensuring the smooth running of the office generally, including monitoring office supplies levels, managing equipment ordering and monitoring spend against budgets. This includes equipment and logistics that staff may need to support home working.
• Maintaining systems and processes, such as our Sharepoint document storage system and our employee induction processes, and supporting the team to develop and improve how we run the charity.
• Logistics & planning of external facing events, working with External Relations and the partnerships teams, including participant management and venues/online requirements.
• Management of the logistics and activities of the charity’s celebrity ambassadors, such as talks, appearances or video recordings, and helping NN recruit new ambassadors to support our cause.
You will have:
- Experience of diary management, scheduling and administrative support.
- Strong communication skills and be able to build effective relationships across the organisation and with external stakeholders.
- Excellent experience in Word, Excel and PowerPoint and willing to get to grips with a range of software tools and packages such as a CRM.
- The ability to prioritise and manage a varied workload.
- Excellent written skills.
- Attention to detail.
You will be
- Highly organised and flexible in your approach.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Willing to represent the charity at external events.
- Able to identify with what we do as a charity and why it’s important
Event co-ordination experience would be useful but not essential.
We are offering:
· 25 days’ holiday a year
· a full induction and a supportive approach to career development
· company pension scheme
· a flexible approach to working
· £24,500 per annum pro rata
We have all been working remotely during the pandemic and are now adopting a hybrid approach to office/home working.
National Numeracy is an equal opportunities employer and all applicants are treated equally and fairly throughout the recruitment and selection process.
National Numeracy offers a supportive working environment. We are a friendly team and have regular team events. We take life-long learning seriously and support all staff members to continue their learning journey during their time with us.
In the first instance, please submit a CV with covering letter of no more than two pages to Emily Kramers by 9am on 5th August 2021. Interviews will take place w/c 9th August.
Please include in your covering letter an outline of your suitability for the role with reference to the essential skills and experience criteria. Applications without a cover letter will not be accepted.
* This job description doesn't constitute a promise or guarantee of employment . National Numeracy reserve the right to make changes to this job description.
** National Numeracy reserves the right to change the deadline for applications or to close the application window if a suitable candidate is found.
*** National Numeracy cannot offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity. Please do not apply unless you can demonstrate eligibility to work in the UK.