We are on the lookout for a talented and experienced Set/Environment Designer who will be producing designs for sets based on the style of the production, working from rough concept to final approved designs under the Art Directors supervision and working directly with the overseas design team.
They will research and explore based on relevant references, and work within the boundaries of a given brief. They are always striving to improve their skills and are happy to support other members of the team.
This role requires the hired candidate to be based in the UK, outside of London (outside the M25). We would like to highlight that the hired person in this role may be required to work part or full time at one of our Regional Studio Hubs (to be confirmed).The role will also report into one of our Regional Studio Hubs.
Day to Day:
- Researching and providing exploratory sketches for interior and exterior sets based on the approved brief
- Produce detailed drawings at correct scale, detailing any prop specifications within the set
- Collaborate/communicate with the Art Director and Design Team
- Working as part of a team to interpret assigned concepts
- Managing your assets and time efficiently to meet deadlines
- Responding positively to notes and feedback
- Strong aesthetic judgement with strong skills in drawing, painting and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of 2D animation workflow.
- Adaptable to different styles of show.
- A portfolio that demonstrates a variety of set and environment design options that fit into a story/world.
- Ability to convert any given design to the style of the show
- Be able to present work in a clear and concise manner that demonstrates thought process and purpose.
- Strong knowledge of tools and software such as Cintiq, Photoshop, or other applicable design software.
- Have the ability to provide written and visual feedback to the overseas team
- Strong understanding of composition
- Creative flair.
- Good understanding of colours, lighting and value structure.
- Being a team player and great collaborator.
- Creative problem solving.
- Excellent time management skills in meeting design deadlines from concept to final deliverables.
- A degree or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years industry experience in a similar role
- Good skills in Graphic Design
- A passion for animation and cinematography
- Passion for storytelling
Plug-in Media is a x5 BAFTA winning production studio with a reputation for producing work of the highest quality. We make games and animation for an enviable international client list consisting of the biggest names in children’s entertainment both across the UK and in the USA. Our busy studio has a positive and cheerful atmosphere. Everyone works hard, but we like to have fun whilst we’re doing it. We’re not saving lives, we’re just making the best children’s media in the world - and there’s no point in being too serious about that!
Blue Zoo is a leading animation studio in the UK, with a world-class reputation as the go-to place for creating bold, fun and characterful animation. Established in London in 2000, the studio has grown to become the largest dedicated CG animation studio in the UK, picking up a shelf full of BAFTAs along the way.
Both studios are coming together to launch an exciting new animation hub for the South of England, based in Brighton, and production begins this summer on a 2D animated pre-school action comedy series, with other projects waiting in the pipeline. Production will operate under a new hybrid model that combines both remote and in-studio working. We are committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive studio that promotes and values diversity and invites everyone to ‘bring their whole selves’ to work. We believe that companies that truly embrace and value diversity, and create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, are better companies. Furthermore, we believe that a healthy balance in our lives - whatever our situation - is key to supporting the wellbeing of our staff. We offer flexible working to support this.
Fundamentally we want to build a studio that is full of amazingly talented, happy staff, making work they are proud of, which in turn makes a small contribution to a happier world.
How to apply
Follow the link to the Blue Zoo website and apply there