Key Area: Design/Creative
Salary: Depending on experience
Attendance: Full time
As DabApps continues to grow we need to expand our design team and are looking for a User Interface Designer with excellent design skills and user focus.
Working on the design team you will work closely with our developers, project managers and clients. The role will include gathering and analysing requirements, using your UX and design skills to envision web and mobile user interfaces and communicating these to both the client and the development team through wireframes, concept designs, documentation, and proposals.
Experience and qualifications
You will have built up experience through several client projects and be looking for the next step in your career. Your portfolio of work should illustrate self-confidence in both visual and interaction design, helping users achieve their goals and clients hit their objectives.
The role will be varied, and you will need excellent problem solving, prioritisation and decision-making skills. You’ll need a minimum of 1-3 years of experience in UI design and good references.
Below is a list of core skills and technologies we consider key. We are not expecting any candidate to have experience or knowledge in all these areas. What we are looking for is the ability and desire to learn the areas you don't have, when and if required. If you only have some of the below, you should still apply!
- Systems thinking – breaking down concepts into user flows and UI ideas
- Responsive web design – an understanding of modern web apps.
- Mobile design – an understanding of how modern cross-platform apps work.
- Strong visual design skills (we use Figma primarily to design, though if you’ve used any modern design tools, we can train you up).
- High fidelity mockups, wireframing and lo-fi prototyping.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Experience exploring new ideas on client-facing projects and communicating confidently directly with clients, in workshops or online.
- An understanding of a user-centred design process (design, research, user testing, validation).
- Bonus skills: Any interest in data visualisation, web and mobile accessibility, HTML/CSS/JS or at least a basic understanding of them.
We are growing the design team and want you to grow with us.
You will need to be able to work effectively in a team-based agile environment, collaborating with other designers, developers, and customers, as well as playing a part in the growth and direction of the company.
The role is flexible and can be split between remote-working and visiting our central Brighton office when required for meetings, so proximity to Brighton would be ideal.
What are we offering you?
- A competitive salary based on your experience.
- A chance to join a growing company with a great culture.
- 25 days paid holiday – plus paid Bank Holidays (PA Pro Rata)
- Flexible working hours – inside core office hours.
- Encouragement and support to take part in Brighton's vibrant creative and digital communities.
- Pension scheme (after qualifying period).
- Regular training and conference opportunities – in-house and external.
- A great working location in the heart of Brighton, + remote options.
DabApps is a leading UK web and mobile software development agency. We are passionate about designing and building bespoke software that our clients and users love. We have a strong focus on standards compliance and best practice, and we are constantly working to improve and streamline our development process. We use open-source technology wherever we can and contribute back to the open-source community as much as possible.
Our values are based on collaboration and expertise in a friendly and open working environment.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in working in design and have relevant skills and experience, please consider applying even if your background doesn’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Please email your CV/portfolio showing representative design work and thinking, along with a covering letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be in touch.