About the job
We are looking to welcome a User Researcher into the Major Digital team at our lovely Brighton studio housed within the magnificent Plus-X Innovation Hub.
Major Digital are a team of creatives and developers driven by a desire to deliver excellent experiences, powered by insight and a relentless advocacy for the users’ voice in projects.
From UX to branding, tech & web development, we build customised solutions that get results. We empower our clients by designing experiences that help them deliver value to their customers.
We’re a small, but rapidly growing agency who have been running since 2007. We pride ourselves on our honesty and transparency with clients and each other, whilst ensuring we remain friendly and empathic in our interactions and work.
Our core value is to try to improve the lives of others, whether that be via a digital product, a creative solution or even just a helpful conversation. We love our work and take pride in what we do. Ensuring our team has a healthy work-life balance is key to delivering effectively, so we’re flexible to both regular working options and ad-hoc requirements to ensure everyone remains happy and energised.
The majority of our work is digital-focused, though we offer a range of creative and user-experience services as well. We work on a wide range of innovative digital projects across a variety of sectors.
Our office is located at the new innovation hub, Plus X on Lewes Road.
You and this role
Historically we have always partnered with researchers on projects or conducted research ourselves. It’s time we had dedicated resource in-house now to help us really scale our outside-in approach to projects.
We need you to:
- Assist us in solving complex business problems both for Major and our clients. Helping us understand our customers, their users, and what can be improved to better meet their needs.
- Be responsible for helping define and drive the future of our customer’s products. You will reveal what users need by conducting research, workshopping, and performing usability studies.
- Improving the UX processes and inspire change with our agency, delivering oral and written presentations, evaluating qualitative and quantitative data, and helping the design team better understand what would make a user's experience more intuitive, accessible, and seamless.
- Plan, design, and conduct user research that focuses on user needs within both B2B and consumer environments. Working with client stakeholders to understand user needs as well as business requirements and objectives.
- Drive user research activities employing a wide range of methods and play-back outputs to the team and stakeholders as required in easy to understand, creative ways to increase comprehension and empathy.
- Work within and collaborate with the UX and development teams to bring them on the research journey with you. Helping them understand the bigger picture and how an individual digital experience works as part of a larger customer experience ecosystem.
- Conduct usability testing planning and facilitation (of early-stage concepts through to prototypes and products).
- Develop relationships with our clients to understand existing research and insights and identify impactful ongoing research questions.
- Design workshops with cross-functional teams to ensure that findings and insights are translated into actionable product goals and direction.
- 2+ years professional user research experience.
- Strong track record of qualitative research leading to results impacting product/UX strategy and development.
- Up-to-date toolkit of research methods and the experience and savvy to know when to be lean and scrappy and when to be rigorous.
- Ability to collaborate with a wide set of stakeholders including UX and UI designers, product managers, and software developers.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to distil complex ideas to their essence.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills; you will need to be comfortable working on multiple projects
- A passion for Accessibility and Inclusive Design
Bonus Points For:
- Having a background in cognitive or experimental psychology, human/computer interaction, human factors, or related field.
- Experience researching multichannel experiences.
- Experience identifying and implementing process improvements for research teams.
- £35,000 - £40,000 depending on experience
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension Contributions
- Flexible working
- Company laptop
- Yearly training budget
- Collaborative company culture
We’re working flexibly whilst still in the pandemic, with the majority of the team working a few days in the office and a few days at home.
How to apply
Send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure you detail your skills and experience and provide some examples of your work (agency projects you’ve been involved in - detailing what aspects you worked on, personal projects, etc).
Please note, we will be interviewing as soon as we receive applications. We will be in touch if we’d like to take your application further.