We’re currently looking for someone to help us explore, craft and improve intuitive and inspiring digital products for our clients.
Your role is essential in helping explore and deliver digital products and services, through:
- Craft: You produce and document elegant, usable and responsive user interfaces to a high fidelity for development, and efficiently create and consolidate UI components and reusable interaction patterns to form coherent design systems.
- Brand: You build upon and extend brand guidelines, design languages and/or visual identities with new digital assets, and evolve brands by identifying, establishing, and embedding new brand experiences, design systems or visual identities.
- Exploration: You repeatedly iterate and improve on an established design solution, based on evidence and sound rationale and confidently explore and steward a broad range of radically different ideas and potential design solutions with clients and colleagues.
- Validation: You assess and validate whether any given design solution is likely to satisfy common or archetypal user, customer or audience behaviours. You understand common user behaviours, and provide evidence-based design guidance by assessing and validating specific design concepts and solutions with end-users, peers and client stakeholders.
- Architecture: You structure and sequence information and content into effective user journeys, and extract, interrogate and document a coherent systemic overview of an experience, either as it exists today or as it is could be designed tomorrow, with support and guidance from colleagues.
You’ll have proven digital experience within the industry and also help support and nurture our design practice at Clearleft under the stewardship of the Design Director, through:
- Relationships: You build good rapport and strong working relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Direction: You can lead, manage or direct colleagues or team members in executing their work to an exemplary standard.
- Teaching: You can coach and train colleagues or clients to learn new skills, techniques and ways of working.
- Mentoring: You support the ongoing growth of colleagues, through informal, ad-hoc advice sessions and regular catchups.
- Outreach: You're an active participant of the broader digital, interaction design or UX community.
What you value
We’re looking for self-driven, adaptable and bold individuals who thrive on the freedom and trust to do the work they love in the way they like. If you strive to do some of the most fulfilling work of your career, in a culture free from bureaucratic constraints, Clearleft may be the ideal place for you.
You get under the skin of problems
You're a big–picture thinker who insists on a deeper understanding of the problem before rushing into solutions. You intuitively focus on the needs of the people using your products and services, but are able to understand the complexity involved and pragmatism required in balancing them with the client’s organisational goals or technical constraints.
You're a natural communicator
You understand that success can often rest on the quality of communication and the effort of making complex ideas simple through diagrams, concept maps, sketches or other visual communication techniques. You prefer discussion over emails and documents and pride yourself on expressing yourself clearly and with a strong sense of purpose that encourages trust from your colleagues and clients, whether that’s a conversation around a whiteboard, an interactive design concept or a ideation workshop.
You enjoy working through problems and challenges with clients and colleagues, and workshops are second nature to you. You do your best work collaborating within cross–functional teams and know that shared understanding and stakeholder alignment are the critical factors in achieving successful outcomes. You instinctively share your findings and ideas with colleagues, peers and the community, and love to see them adapt and evolve as a result of constructive criticism.
You value outputs, but not as much as outcomes
You know the best way to tackle complex problems is by remaining adaptable, understanding and respecting the differences between the various research, design or development methodologies (such as JTBD or Agile), while not following any practice dogmatically. You have an array of techniques to draw upon, but focus on the outcomes of your work, rather than fetishise the way it looks or how it’s delivered.
What we value
We hire for culture add, not culture fit. We encourage everyone to bring their own unique character to the team, feeling free to express themselves in a safe and supportive environment. Hiring people from diverse backgrounds enriches the team's values and the work we do, helping make us greater than the sum of our parts.
Clearleft is an employee-owned collaborative team of designers, technologists, connectors and curators who share a passion for improving people’s lives and transforming organisations through design.
As one of the very first user experience design agencies in the UK, over the last 15 years we’ve been helping organisations of all shapes, sizes and sectors reach their digital potential – from renowned institutions to global brands, such as the BBC, Natural History Museum, Virgin, Pearson, 3M, Tesco, J.P. Morgan and the United Nations.
Through our programme of design events for our growing community of digital leaders and design practitioners we also support individuals and teams to achieve more lasting outcomes for their organisation.
- Competitive salary £40k–£55k (depending on experience)
- Flexible, family-friendly working hours
- Up to 30 days annual leave (pro rata)
- £1,200 annual training and wellbeing budget
- Employer contributed pension (up to 5%)
- Paid sabbaticals (after 5 years)
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Work from home, remotely or in our studio
- A creative office environment just off Brighton seafront
- Weekly studio day and regular socials that bring us all together (from picnics to countryside walks and days out further afield)
- Discretionary income tax-free annual staff bonus; one of the perks of being an employee-owned company
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
- We work a flexible hybrid of remote and/or together in our Brighton studio.
- You may be required to attend in person for some workshops or events, so expect some face-to-face contact and travel now and then.
- We welcome remote applicants from anywhere, assuming you're able and happy to work on a UK timezone and travel to gather with the rest of the team in Brighton once a month or so.
- We aim to get in touch with candidates within two weeks of contacting us.
- Our selection process starts with a 1-to-1 informal chat prior to an interview with some of the team.
- Clearleft is an equal opportunities employer committed to ensuring that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race.