PHP Developer - Chichester/Hybrid
- D3R Ltd
- Chichester, West Sussex
- £30k to £45k+ depending on experience
- Back-End Development, Full Stack Development
- Mid-Level, Junior-Level
- Contract Type
D3R was founded by developers and still over three quarters of our team are technical. We take a long term view. That applies to how we choose our clients, how we write our code, and how we treat our employees.
We are looking for developers who are experienced and enthusiastic about PHP to join our Chichester team and create wonderful bespoke websites and tools for new and existing clients in ecommerce, hospitality and beyond.
There are lots of skills and technologies that would be useful, but to be a great fit for this role, you should be excited about spending the majority of your time knee deep in object-oriented, modern PHP.
These are the core skills we'd like you to have or be on the way to acquiring:
- You feel at home in modern PHP 7 or 8 and are experienced and enthusiastic about using object-oriented principles to solve complex problems.
- You think and care about code reuse and abstraction and are always looking for ways to increase the leverage of the code you write.
- You have a solid understanding of Composer and how to manage your dependencies, ideally with experience of how and when to separate code into packages.
- You have experience with at least one PHP framework or have worked with a large, complex application.
- You care about code quality. If you've put this into practice by testing with PHPUnit, writing standards compliant PHP, or setting up continuous integration tooling, all the better.
- You're not scared of being a bit of a detective - this could mean jumping into code and following a bug around but also working something out with your colleagues when two heads are better than one.
- You have a track record of getting things done and focussing on delivery. Ideally you can show us some work you're proud of.
There are lots of other skills we like our devs to have. If you've got some of these already, that's great. If you are eager to pick some up, we'd love to discuss that and to help you to learn.
- Talking to clients and collaborating with colleagues. We don't have a typical project management layer so good communication skills are important, both with customers and the rest of the team.
- Ecommerce experience. If you've worked on ecommerce, or even better been involved in the scary end of actually taking people's money, that would give you a head start with a lot of our projects.
- Web performance. How to measure it, how to improve it and what value that might bring a client.
- A deep understanding of SQL (we use MariaDB). How to write complex queries, optimise performance and design a sensible database schema.
- Sysadmin and DevOps. We use AWS along with Debian, Puppet and Terraform. We are always on the lookout for careful experienced heads to help us manage and improve our infrastructure.
- Experience with ElasticSearch. We're using this more and more with our clients, and would like to grow the numbers of devs we have who are knowledgeable about both the application and administration sides.
Our head office is on East Street in Chichester and we are pretty flexible about start and end times. We also offer Hybrid working once new team members are up to speed.
We provide everyone with a MacBook Pro, breakfast and an employee perks scheme. We also organise weekly team lunches here in Chichester and regular gatherings when our sister office in London come to visit, or vice versa.
You also get access to dental care, a pension, cycle to work scheme, life insurance, a range of employee discounts and perks plus access to a Treehouse account for improving your skills.
You can see a small sample of the kind of work we do in our portfolio but here are a few more hidden projects we've worked on:
We optimised Monica Vinader's entire supply chain management process, building a complete inventory management system capable of handling everything from supplier ordering / invoicing, stock receipts, inventory tracking & pricing - all integrated with the front end web shop as well as a barcode scanning app developed for use in their warehouse.
EPOS functionality for Loaf, utilising web technology and the existing e-commerce platform to handle in-store sales.
An iPad based system for Sipsmith's 100 Martinis events where customers choose and order cocktails from their table.
An engraving tool, again for Monica Vinader, that allows users to customise jewellery with text and doodles using HTML5 Canvas.
A WebGL rendering engine to create beautiful 3D visualisations of cyclists' GPS tracks.
For boutique hotel specialist Mr & Mrs Smith, we built a complete hotel booking and availability system managing rooms, rates, offers, cancellation policies, invoicing, and accounting. This included the creation of a portal to allow hoteliers to manage pricing/availability/arrival lists and reconciliation. After an extensive period of consultation with hoteliers and usability testing, the system is now being used by over 700 hotels from around the world.