Head of Development
At 15gifts, we’re obsessed with the psychology of choice. We study the key consumer psychology principles that enable consumers to make confident choices on the high street, and we replicate these within our digital guided selling technology to enable consumers to make the same confident decisions online.
We work with some of the world’s leading telecommunications and media brands throughout Europe & the U.S. with our technology powering millions of confident customer decisions across brands such as Verizon, T-Mobile, O2, Sky, Virgin Media, EE, BT, Tesco and Vodafone.
With every interaction, we learn more about our clients' customers. Gathering insights to generate increasingly accurate product recommendations, whilst building up a detailed profile on each individual consumer.
We’re a fast growing organisation with continued ambitious growth targets over the coming years and we’re extremely excited about the opportunities that lie ahead. We’re a team that’s made of driven, ambitious, and exceptional individuals and we’re looking for like-minded people to become part of our success story.
About the role
Our technology department has grown substantially and is planned to grow further in the upcoming months. We are looking for a Head of Development to take over the management of the development department.
Our tech team's mission is to increase efficiency by removing or automating manual tasks; and to pave the way to scale by replatforming our product and optimising our processes. Aligning both new and existing scrum teams, along with our technology to this is paramount to ensuring that we successfully achieve our mission. The Head of Development will work closely with Product Managers, Architects and the CTO to deliver tangible, measurable improvements that drive us towards efficiency and scale.
The person we’re looking for
- Be able to translate complex technical concepts into easy to understand language for customers and internal teams to understand
- Be a strong leader, with a professional attitude and a lead by example work ethic
- Has good organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Be analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
- Be able to confidently communicate at all levels of the business
You’ll be responsible for
- Overall management of the Development team: recruitment, team meetings, appraisals, one-to-ones
- Support the CTO in delivering the department’s objectives and strategy
- Create an environment that encourages learning and adaptation
- Maintaining a standard of Software Development across the company
- Work closely with Product Managers to ensure implementations are developed to scope and new features are inline with strategy.
- Work alongside the TechOps and Support teams to make releases as efficient as possible
- Work alongside the Management Team to improve internal and external testing procedures (browser, functional (including SIT), performance and accessibility testing)
- Present work and articulate technical executions at customer level
- Monitor performance and ability of the development team
- Delivery of high quality, robust and secure software
You’ll be accountable for
- Setting strategy, planning, budgeting and hiring for the Dev team aligned to business goals
- Owns the approach (SDLC) and standards for software delivery, ensuring this is adhered to and measured
- Software delivery using SDLC including resource estimations, allocation and throughput
- Manages relationship and performance of outsource development partners
- Owning the onboarding process and ensuring all developers are trained and able to deliver.
Skills and experience
- Confident leader comfortable speaking at team meetings and events as required
- Experience managing agile development teams
- Excellent understanding of software design patterns and software architecture
- Experience tracking, understanding and improving on throughput
- An understanding of or desire to learn our technology landscape: AWS, TypeScript, Node, Perl, REACT, mySQL
- Knowledge and experience of building and operating CI/CD pipelines
- Good understanding of GDPR
Why choose us
Our success is underpinned by our cultural values. These values are not something we stick up on a wall – they don’t need to be. They are behaviours that we recognise and celebrate in each other. They are what we live by every day.
Our Cultural Values
- Celebrate brilliance
- Take ownership
- Share Insights
- Look for a better way
- Support each other
Our values are driven through Culture Club – a staff team that rotates every quarter. Advocates for our culture as we grow, Culture Club activates ideas, makes improvements and helps everyone to connect.
Our office and remote working
We can confidently say that our sea-view office is one of Brighton’s best, and we’re really excited that we’ve been able to open up the office to our entire team again. It’s been great to reconnect with everyone in person and to meet the newer members of our team for the first time!
Whilst we see huge benefits to being able to collaborate and socialise together again, we’ve also learnt a lot about the benefits of working from home. Therefore, we plan to offer our team the flexibility to be in the office when they want to be, and when they need to attend key meetings and workshops, and to work from home on the days when that suits their lives and their workloads best.
When in the office, we have flexible workspaces, which means you’re not tied to a desk, unless you want to be. You could work in a sociable spot on floor 4, or set yourself up with a screen on floor 3. This is everyone’s space and it’s available after work – our staff host everything from gaming and craft nights to adventure film screenings.
- Employee Assistance Programme (confidential counselling)
- Medicash healthcare scheme (reclaim costs for dental, physiotherapy, osteopathy and optical care)
- easitBrighton travel scheme (discounted public transport options)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Life Insurance scheme
- 33 days holiday(including bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time hours)
Other extras in the office
- On site changing rooms, showers and internal bike storage
- Breakfast, fresh fruit, snacks, beers
- Yoga and other fitness activities
- Regular social events, including Friday drinks and book club
- Visits from friendly office dogs
For more information on what it's like to work at 15gifts, check out our Talent Talk with Wired Sussex