Team Lead - UX Research
We are an established and expanding software testing and quality assurance (QA) services company based in Eastbourne, East Sussex. We work with a range of exciting and innovative clients supporting them in their development and implementation of software products. We provide them with test execution services alongside expert support and consultancy on quality assurance.
About the role
Responsible for owning and supporting the Usability Test Team within Zoonou, the Usability Team Manager is an ambassador for their area of expertise. Supporting, developing, managing, and mentoring our usability testing team to ensure user research projects are delivered effectively and efficiently. Supporting our sales team in pre-sales discussion with clients to help scope usability projects.
The role is focused around bringing together and developing our team of four usability researchers, resourcing them on projects, organising projects to run smoothly, supporting the team with career development, improving domain knowledge in user testing, and promoting user research and testing within the wider team at Zoonou.
A strong background and experience delivering structured user experience research services for clients is important. Success in this role will be reflected in the successes of the team, so development and the ability to support and mentor a team is as important as knowledge of usability testing and user research.
- Leadership – Support of the usability testing team – Develop knowledge of in-person and remote qualitative user testing and expert reviews within the team. Ensure the team deliver projects to a high standard, acting as a point of escalation for queries.
- Project management – Working with our team, resource projects, schedule project activities, ensure delivery is on time, and that communication with clients is running smoothly. Organise users to attend sessions via our partner agencies.
- Management - Line management responsibility for the usability testing team. Work to produce, update, and maintain development plans for team members. Work on 1-2-1 basis coaching where needed.
- Development – Identify and deliver opportunities for the usability and user research service to grow. Interview new additions to the team. Innovate new ideas into our testing and research approach. Develop within yourself and the team an awareness of current and future user testing trends.
- Process – Own the usability and user testing process and toolset. Ensure that projects travel through our delivery pipeline in a timely fashion and are handed over to invoice promptly.
Ideal experience and background:
- Knowledge of user testing and related concepts, including design, development, and usability principles
- Experience conducting in-person and remote qualitative user testing
- Experience analysing qualitative data and producing and presenting actionable insights
- Experience conducting expert reviews and/or heuristic evaluations
- Understanding of and experience testing to guidelines e.g. WCAG, Nielsen 10 Heuristics, W3C
- Experience in directly communicating with clients at both a longer-term management level as well as at a day-to-day operational level
- Experience developing, growing, and mentoring a team
- Experience working with the public
- Knowledge of basic HR process and experience managing on a 1-2-1 basis
A style based on fostering constructive relationships with others, leading by example, acting on feedback from others as well as providing it to team members. Trust, balance, honesty, and empathy are at the heart of our approach and are the key values that should be embodied within the role.
Qualities & skills:
- Engaged – a part of the usability and user testing community, whether reading blogs or partaking in conversations with other specialists.
- Strong figurehead - Encourage the growth of others. Guide from the front to build a positive team mentality.
- Calm and considered - at times things do not go as expected, and changes may need to be worked out within a short time frame. Be able to work through pressure, bring the team together and appropriately prioritise tasks.
- Role model – embody the behaviours of a great user tester, leader, and manager; support and motivate colleagues. Demonstrate a willingness to tackle new problems and develop your business area wherever an opportunity exists.
- Innovative and progressive - always looking to improve our practices, approach, and efficiency through the implementation of new processes or use of new tools.
What we offer:
At Zoonou, you’ll be part of a dynamic and ambitious team. We work hard to make sure Zoonou provides a platform for you to grow and reach your fullest potential, with a strong promote-from-within ethos. Our success and growth are fuelled by the exceptional talent of our team and in return for their dedication we give back to them in a number of ways including:
- Hybrid/Remote working
- Professional development training budgets
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Access to mental health support
- Company pension
- 32 days holiday (inc, Bank Holidays) and additional holiday accrued over time
- Free eye tests
- Cycle to work scheme
- Fresh fruit, snacks, and drinks when we’re in the office
- Regular company social events
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that we deliver the best services for our clients and working environment for our team when we bring together diverse backgrounds, cultures and lived experiences.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome all applicants regardless of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or religion; we encourage members of communities that are underrepresented in tech to apply.