Senior Analytics Engineer
- 15gifts Ltd
- Century House, 15-19 Dyke Rd, Brighton
- £65k-£85k DOE
- Software Engineering, Web Analysis, Data Analysis
- Contract Type
At 15gifts, we’re obsessed with the psychology of choice. We study the key consumer psychology principles that enable consumers to make confident choices on the high street, and we replicate these within our digital guided selling technology to enable consumers to make the same confident decisions online.
We work with some of the world’s leading telecommunications and media brands throughout Europe & the U.S. with our technology powering millions of confident customer decisions across brands such as Verizon, T-Mobile, O2, Sky, Virgin Media, EE, BT, Tesco and Vodafone.
With every interaction, we learn more about our clients' customers. Gathering insights to generate increasingly accurate product recommendations, whilst building up a detailed profile on each individual consumer.
We’re a fast growing organisation with continued ambitious growth targets over the coming years and we’re extremely excited about the opportunities that lie ahead. We’re a team that’s made of driven, ambitious, and exceptional individuals and we’re looking for like-minded people to become part of our success story.
About the role
We are looking for a senior analytics engineer who has the experience and skills to design and build excellent data models (and tests). These models will be used across the business and will drive value in our various products, dashboards and company metrics.
We typically work in an AWS, Snowflake, dbt, Looker and Fivetran stack and you should be comfortable working with these (or very similar) technologies.
You will maintain and build models using dbt in our snowflake data warehouse, enabling our downstream data needs, minimising our cloud costs, driving best practice and automating our data governance.
On a typical day you might be discussing requirements with stakeholders across the business, designing and implementing modelling solutions in dbt or looker, or perhaps writing the tests which guarantee that requirements are met.
The models you are creating will typically be used to power our looker dashboards and client reports, our key business metrics or perhaps our recommendation engine or other machine learning systems.
To be successful in this role you will need to be a friendly team player with strong communication skills, who can gather clear requirements, and demonstrate the ability to design and create clear, verifiable and maintainable data models.
You may also be interested in growing into a team lead position, and if so, we would be happy to work with you to help develop the skills to make this move.
The person we’re looking for
- Passionate about designing and delivering solutions to complex problems
- Curious with a desire for continuous learning
- Friendly with a collaborative attitude to solving problems
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with task organisational skills
- Comfortable both expressing your opinions and also listening to the opinions of others as required by the situation
- Experienced and passionate about Data Modelling, ELT projects and Big Data
You’ll be responsible for
- Collecting requirements from the wider data team and other decision makers
- Translating use cases, pain points and success criteria into technical requirements
- Designing, building, maintaining and upgrading data pipelines and self-service tooling to provide clean, efficient results
- Writing automated tests to validate if requirements have been met
- Fixing bugs in a timely manner
- Serving as Data Model subject matter expert and data model spokesperson
- Promoting data governance through documentation, observability and controls
- Implementing solutions which meet our coding standards
- Using version control and performing code reviews
- Promoting adoption of tools and best practices across the team
Skills and experience
- Strong experience in the discovery and communication of requirements from a wide variety of stakeholders
- Strong commercial expertise using dbt
- Excellent SQL skills
- Experience with Looker/LookML or similar
- Experience with AWS/Snowflake/Python/Fivetran or similar
- Experience with analytics schema design
- Experience modelling tracking data
- Previous commercial experience in the Data space as an analyst, engineer, scientist, or equivalent
- Experience managing the same data models over time and evolving those models to meet new business requirements
Why choose us
Our success is underpinned by our cultural values. These values are not something we stick up on a wall – they don’t need to be. They are behaviours that we recognise and celebrate in each other. They are what we live by every day.
Our Cultural Values
- Celebrate brilliance
- Take ownership
- Share Insights
- Look for a better way
- Support each other
Our values are driven through Culture Club – a staff team that rotates every quarter. Advocates for our culture as we grow, Culture Club activates ideas, makes improvements and helps everyone to connect.
Our office and remote working
We can confidently say that our sea-view office is one of Brighton’s best, and we’re really excited that we’ve been able to open up the office to our entire team again. It’s been great to reconnect with everyone in person and to meet the newer members of our team for the first time!
Whilst we see huge benefits to being able to collaborate and socialise together again, we’ve also learnt a lot about the benefits of working from home. Therefore, we plan to offer our team the flexibility to be in the office when they want to be, and when they need to attend key meetings and workshops, and to work from home on the days when that suits their lives and their workloads best.
When in the office, we have flexible workspaces, which means you’re not tied to a desk, unless you want to be. You could work in a sociable spot on floor 4, or set yourself up with a screen on floor 3. This is everyone’s space and it’s available after work – our staff host everything from gaming and craft nights to adventure film screenings.
- Employee Assistance Programme (confidential counselling)
- Medicash healthcare scheme (reclaim costs for dental, physiotherapy, osteopathy and optical care)
- easitBrighton travel scheme (discounted public transport options)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Life Insurance scheme
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays)
Other extras in the office
- On site changing rooms, showers and internal bike storage
- Breakfast, fresh fruit, snacks, beers
- Yoga and other fitness activities
- Regular social events, including Friday drinks and book club
- Visits from friendly office dogs
For more information on what it's like to work at 15gifts, check out our Talent Talk with Wired Sussex