Senior strategist & copywriter
With the potential of becoming a business partner
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
This isn’t just a job
We’re not looking for an ‘employee’. This role is for a committed colleague — and, ideally, further down the road, a business partner. But from the outset, we do expect you to bring personal investment and share the belief that together we can create deeper connections and positive change through identity, culture and communication.
You’ll have an interest in creating something special. And you’ll be wanting to get involved in shaping how we work as well as achieving impact with our client partners. Ethos must be as important to you as experience and skill.
What being part of Neo means
A founding B Corp, Neo was one of the first creative agencies to work exclusively with organisations with a social or environmental purpose. Twenty years on and we’re committed more than ever to supporting the pioneers making our world a better place.
What unites us more than anything is our belief that brand and communications have the power to bring people together to achieve great things. We believe that an equal, caring and conscious world can exist if we do things differently, if we unite our efforts to make change happen.
That change must start with ourselves. We work hard to nurture an open, inclusive and egalitarian culture. We’re a diverse bunch in many ways and we don’t stand for discrimination of any kind. Inspired by the Teal movement, we’re leaning toward a self-organised structure, and we work hard on sharing decision-making and nurturing creative development.
We need someone who’s...
- Open, curious, creative, courageous
- A truly collaborative team-player
- A strong analytical and creative thinker
- An enquiring, active and intent listener
- An intuitive, considered communicator
- A confident / willing facilitator and speaker
- An excellent organiser
- Supportive, positive and resilient
Not too much to ask, eh?! While some of the above are absolute musts, others might be areas for development. We’re not deluded into thinking any of us our perfect and we actively encourage one another to bring our whole selves to work. So, we’d expect whoever takes up this role to be conscious of and comfortable sharing their pitfalls as well as strengths. Someone who’s willing to work on themselves as we try to. And someone who can have a good laugh with us!
- First six months: 2-3 days per week to be agreed
- On a freelance or employment contract basis
- After six months, we’d hope you could join us for four days per week as a permanent employee.
Salary & benefits
- £35k-£40k per annum pro-rata (or freelance equivalent rate), depending on experience and skills
- Company pension and sickness payment scheme
- Professional and personal development opportunities
- Flexible working and good work-life balance.
Overall, as a strategist, you’ll:
- Bring a high level of strategic and creative thinking to support and complement our rigorous approach
- Work across a range of projects spanning identity culture, campaigns and communications
- In time, lead some of those projects and work collaboratively with the team to produce the best-possible outputs and outcomes
- Help our client partners connect with and articulate their purpose, using language and storytelling to bring to life the principles that support their ambitions and the growth of their communities and audiences
- Build open, trusting and respectful relationships with our client partners
- Contribute to developing our ways of working, building our business and raising our profile.
You'll do this by:
- Nurturing a deep understanding of our strategic and creative process
- Embracing our purpose to find what matters and make it matter more to help realise radical human change
- Committing to being creative and courageous in your work and in our social and environmental aims, and to being a collective and conscious thinker and doer
- Understanding how our holistic approach to identity can develop within the parameters of the project
- Helping to strengthen identity work through understanding its intersection with organisational culture
- Seeing the purpose and possibilities within each project — to develop and expand the work, and to increase its impact.
Working collaboratively to...
- Really understand the needs of our client partners, their audiences and the potential of projects to meet these needs
- Help to shape and respond to briefs with strategic insights, challenging questions and constructive thinking
- Facilitate conversations with client partners and stakeholders, including senior leaders, to support the development of connected, authentic cultures and identities that people can get behind
- Undertake or commission and oversee other forms of research according to project needs
- Facilitate and lead strategic workshops and planning calls
- Present strategic analysis and recommendations to client partners
- Co-create strategies for identity, campaign and communications projects
- Craft brand or campaign narrative and naming, language guidelines and related content
- Translate strategic insights into compelling creative propositions and clear briefs, and working collaboratively with our designers, writers, animators, filmmakers, etc, to maintain the integrity and direction of ideas into the best possible outcomes
- Support in overseeing the production of visual and verbal content to exceptionally high standards
- Develop excellent knowledge of the sectors in which we work, of pertinent strategic issues and of our own industry trends.
Copywriting responsibilities (to be discussed)
- Bring ideas to life through compelling copy and have a strong sense of how written concepts will come to life visually
- Work in partnership with design colleagues you’ll be able to communicate themes and together develop powerful communications
- Co-create brand language and writing tone-of-voice guidelines
- Write to high technical and creative standards
- Have or quickly develop a solid grasp of the formats and platforms we work with.
Leadership and development responsibilities
- Share in our purpose and commitments, support in shaping and achieving our strategic goals
- Share in our B Corp commitments, and bring your own to the table, to help us maintain and improve our certification and achieve our social and environmental aims
- Contribute to the development of our own creative and strategic ways of working
- Commit to self- and peer-to-peer development, through constant learning, sharing and coaching
- Encourage and invite collaboration at all levels
- Strategise and identify business opportunities, contributing to our own positioning, conversations and content
- Participate in events to support our purpose and positioning — eg, building relationships, speaking or facilitating workshops
- Help identify relevant new project opportunities and, at times, lead our strategic response to them
- Develop and nurture important relationships with client partners, collaborators and advocates
- Help to organise projects, timings and budgets efficiently.
Where we work
Originally based in Brighton, the team is now dispersed across the UK — some of us are still in Brighton, while others are in Bristol and Wales. That means we collaborate mostly online using tools such as Zoom, Slack and Miro. But we also work in person wherever needed, be it as part of projects, events or meetings with client partners. And while we’ve become quite proficient at remote working, we value our time together and so we make an effort to meet up as much as possible.
Deadline for applications: 8 June 2022.