- The Photography Firm
- Swanborough near Lewes, East Sussex
- £24,000 to £28,000 / pro rata / doe
- Design / Creative, Production, Video / Content Production
- Full-Time, Part-Time, Flexible
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
We are a small photography business that combines the experience of two individuals - photographer and designer. We run a small busy studio just outside Lewes, handling shooting, retouching and supply of thousands of images per month.
We shoot mainly products, as well as having a number of clients in the fashion, interior and lifestyle industries.
We are not shooting glamorous high-end advertising campaigns most days! It is very often creative however, as around 50% of our work is styled / lifestyle work that needs much more than just a technical brain. This is a role for a hard working creative rather than a photography diva – it’s not the right job if you’re ready to be the next Mario Testino!
MAIN PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE ROLE
We are looking for a part / full time photographer for a small but busy photography studio. This role needs someone with previous commercial experience, whether that be in a similar studio / agency role, or as a freelance photographer. You will also need your own transport.
You will work directly with the two business owners (photographer and studio manager), as well our retoucher, production assistant and finance manager.
The role is likely to start as a part time, freelance position, with a view to becoming a full time, permanent one.
This is a solid stepping stone to becoming a senior commercial photographer who can handle all types of shoots, some more technical than others – from glassware to jewellery, clothing to Amazon products. We are always busy and we are an easy-going team that enjoys having a laugh.
We are looking for a competent level of experience. We don’t expect you to know everything yet, but at the end of a training period we would expect you to be a fully conversant in all areas of studio photography, and to be able to take on studio photography jobs without much support or instruction. You’ll have an in-built awareness of creativity and composition. Experience in videography, video editing and digital retouching would also be preferable.
As a small team, nobody is exempt from mucking in with general tasks – so you will be expected to make tea, pack boxes, hoover the studio and stack shelves at times – because we all do!
- Preparing jobs ready for shoots
- making sure that you fully understand the job brief and liaising with the studio manager or production assistant to clarify any details
- liaising with the production assistant on creative planning, choosing and occasionally sourcing any props needed for lifestyle sets
- anticipating any equipment to get ready and prepared
- liaising directly with clients about their requirements
- Set up lighting - ensuring all products are lit correctly, efficiently and creatively.
- Prepare lifestyle sets, using backgrounds, props and textures to create beautiful environments, from small tabletop size to large room sets.
- Produce high quality images, ensuring they are correctly exposed, sharp and colour consistent.
- Responsible for care and upkeep of the studio, equipment, props and supplies.
- Crop and process all images, maintaining file size specification.
- Perform quality assurance on all images.
- Video editing and retouching support.
- Keep the office tidy and assist with general office tasks as needed including steaming clothing in preparation for a shoot, cleaning or unpacking products ready to shoot, packing products, general tidying, and ad hoc administration.
Fully conversant in all Adobe Creative Cloud applications, in particular, Lightroom, & Photoshop. Experience shooting to Capture One Pro. Indesign, After Effects, Premier Pro, Da Vinci Resolve – all advantageous.
Please apply with a CV, covering letter, and link / examples of your paid, commercial work.