Python Developer/Recommendation Engineer
At 15gifts, we’re obsessed with the psychology of choice. We study the key consumer psychology principles that enable consumers to make confident choices on the high street, and we replicate these within our digital guided selling technology to enable consumers to make the same confident decisions online.
We work with some of the world’s leading telecommunications and media brands throughout Europe & the U.S. with our technology powering millions of confident customer decisions across brands such as Verizon, T-Mobile, O2, Sky, Virgin Media, EE, BT, Tesco and Vodafone.
With every interaction, we learn more about our clients' customers. Gathering insights to generate increasingly accurate product recommendations, whilst building up a detailed profile on each individual consumer.
We’re a fast growing organisation with continued ambitious growth targets over the coming years and we’re extremely excited about the opportunities that lie ahead. We’re a team that’s made of driven, ambitious, and exceptional individuals and we’re looking for like-minded people to become part of our success story.
About the role
We’re looking for a Python developer that can help us take our unique recommendation engine to the next level. This includes: making the application scalable and more maintainable, implementing new features, and working on green field projects.
Working with our experienced engineers, data scientists, analysts and our clients themselves, you’ll help millions of customers find their perfect match while having a huge impact on the business in this highly visible role.
Our technology is already used by some of the largest brands in the world, and we’re only just getting started. This is a pivotal moment to join a company that has a huge opportunity ahead of it.
The person we’re looking for:
- Has a passion for technology and an excellent eye for detail
- Eager to learn new things and excited by problem-solving
- Great communicator and team player
- Takes ownership over issues, big or small
- Loves learning and taking on challenges
- Wants to work at the cutting edge of applying human psychology to online interactions
You’ll be responsible for:
- The maintenance and future development of our recommendation engine, including supporting and taking ownership of tasks related to the recommendation engine’s roadmap
- Collaborating with the analytics, data science and UX teams to implement changes in the recommendation engine
- Working with the analytics, data science and product teams to understand product sets and how to best recommend for various situations
- Developing experiments involving recommendations, alongside our analytics, data science, product and customer success teams
- Working on data engineering and data warehousing tasks as and when required
Skills and experience:
- 3+ years of experience in Python
- Experience with pandas and numpy
- Experience writing automated tests (unit, functional, etc)
- Experience refactoring and improving existing code
- Experience following good coding standards (PEP-8) and ability to write maintainable and well-documented code
- Understanding of software design patterns and good software architecture
- Experience with data modelling is a bonus
- Experience working on a scalable product is also a bonus
Why choose us?
Our success is underpinned by our cultural values. These values are not something we stick up on a wall – they don’t need to be. They are behaviours that we recognise and celebrate in each other. They are what we live by every day.
Our Cultural Values
- Celebrate brilliance
- Take ownership
- Share Insights
- Look for a better way
- Support each other
Our values are driven through Culture Club – a staff team that rotates every quarter. Advocates for our culture as we grow, Culture Club activates ideas, makes improvements and helps everyone to connect.
Our office and remote working
We can confidently say that our sea-view office is one of Brighton’s best, and we’re really excited that we’ve been able to open up the office to our entire team again. It’s been great to reconnect with everyone in person and to meet the newer members of our team for the first time!
Whilst we see huge benefits to being able to collaborate and socialise together again, we’ve also learnt a lot about the benefits of working from home. Therefore, we plan to offer our team the flexibility to be in the office when they want to be, and when they need to attend key meetings and workshops, and to work from home on the days when that suits their lives and their workloads best.
When in the office, we have flexible workspaces, which means you’re not tied to a desk, unless you want to be. You could work in a sociable spot on floor 4, or set yourself up with a screen on floor 3. This is everyone’s space and it’s available after work – our staff host everything from gaming and craft nights to adventure film screenings.
- Employee Assistance Programme (confidential counselling)
- Medicash healthcare scheme (reclaim costs for dental, physiotherapy, osteopathy and optical care)
- easitBrighton travel scheme (discounted public transport options)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Life Insurance scheme
- 33 days holiday(including bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time hours)
Other extras in the office
- On site changing rooms, showers and internal bike storage
- Breakfast, fresh fruit, snacks, beers
- Yoga and other fitness activities
- Regular social events, including Friday drinks and book club
- Visits from friendly office dogs
For more information on what it's like to work at 15gifts, check out our Talent Talk with Wired Sussex