🏢 The Company
ASquared is a mobile app, web and digital platform specialist, pioneering rapid innovation of sustainable, human-centric, digital futures for our partners, people and planet.
You’ll join an open environment where you’ll have the chance to work across a truly great piece of business. You will own the day to day, ensure great work happens, always organised, always proactive, always bringing positive energy, always hungry to add value strategically and creatively and always with a resilient can-do attitude.
We adopt a lean, agile and commercially focused discovery, design and development method to help us deliver stunning React web and React Native mobile applications.
📶 The role
We’re looking for an experienced React Native or React Software Engineer to come and design innovative and engaging solutions for a growing and diverse roster of clients, ranging from new start-ups to established corporations.
Each of our clients has an interesting challenge that can be solved through that wonderful mixture of user-centred design, cutting-edge technology and modern software development methodologies, and we’re looking for a Software Engineer who wants to lead projects and start them in the right way.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly-growing agency in the heart of Brighton. At ASquared you’ll get to work with an energetic and enthusiastic team where your solutions mindset can hit new heights. You’ll achieve personal and professional objectives through the use of a professional development framework, plus benefit from a bunch of perks including a wellbeing allowance.
👀 What you’ll bring
- You’ll have worked on a variety of experiences so far in your career, able to recombine and apply what you’ve learned in novel, fresh ways to your projects
- You have a demonstrable and trusted human-centred product development process that sees you owning the development of web and mobile applications, from discovery to release
- You have experience working in Product, and ideally mobile applications
- You’re familiar and experienced in implementing a variety of software production processes for creating mobile and web applications
- You have strong communication skills that allow you to engage with clients and stakeholders in client-facing weekly meetings
- You’re able to turn complex and nuanced user and business requirements into innovative and unique solutions for client projects of all shapes and sizes
- You’re used to working in multidisciplinary, cross-functional teams of design, engineering and project management
- You love working to complex and challenging client briefs using a fast-paced agile approach
📲 What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with other developers and product designers to create high-quality mobile or web solutions that are human-centric, high quality and delightful
- Planning and architecting the best technical approach to each project
- Regularly leading development of a project working with other engineers to deliver well thought through technical project solutions and exceed client expectations, delivering on time and budget
- Supporting other engineers through mentoring, coaching and line management
- Identifying and mitigating project risks at an early stage. Consistently weighing up priorities and benefits of different actions and activities to consider how to achieve cost effective outcomes
- Domain knowledge: sharing ideas with clients about improvements to their services and platforms. Providing support and input on other activities across the delivery function and other business functions within ASquared.
- Regularly contributing to marketing the agency by writing blogs posts and representing ASquared at conferences and meet-up events.
- Understanding and, at times, contributing to the creation of user journeys and user stories for designers and developers to work from
- Working within cross-functional teams using an Agile development process
- 4+ years of experience coding commercial React and/or React Native applications
- 3+ years experience in writing Typescript code
- Experience working within multidisciplinary, cross-functional teams in an agile environment
- Expert in contributing to Gitlab or Github shared code repositories
- Extensive experience working with other developers on a shared codebase, providing, receiving and acting upon code reviews
- Excellent communication skills, where you can ‘keep it simple’ and make complicated details and problems understandable to a non-technical audience
- An ability to translate requirements into modern, accessible and delightful experiences for end users
- Experience working in Figma and working closely with product designers
- Deep understanding of state management frameworks such as redux
- Understanding the challenges of app version migration
- Experience of implementing testing frameworks like Jest
😎 The nice-to-haves
- Experience coding React Native mobile apps would be awesome but not a must - we build a lot of web apps too and can help fast-track the missing React Native experience.
- Some experience coding at the native mobile layer - Swift / Objective-C / Kotlin / Java - would be a real bonus.
- Experience of the build & distribution process for iOS and Android.
- Experience building apps in Expo - ideally both managed and bare workflows
- Some experience of Expo’s EAS (Expo Application Services) automated mobile app build pipeline
- Firebase - although we specialise in front-end development most of our developers are highly adept at building out scalable backends using Firebase, Firestore and Cloud Functions.
- Digital agency experience
- Experience or familiarity with design systems and a modular design process
- Experience working with Storybook to create a component library
🏠 Our office and remote working
“We don’t live to work, we work to live” - achieving a good work-life balance is a core company belief. You’ll experience this through our flexible working options (e.g. remote, core hours, hybrid) at our offices in Platf9rm AND our Digital Nomad perk which allows you to take a change of scenery and work from ANYWHERE in the world for up to a month each year.
There are terms to ensure it's safe, practical and legal, but nonetheless, life's for living, so join us and get your imagination out there!
💁 What’s in it for you?
At ASquared, you’ll have the opportunity to work at an incredible agency, join an inspiring team whilst getting to grow and shape your career with us. We offer a competitive salary and profit share, training, benefits and wellbeing perks too.
A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity and leadership.
We are a Dog Friendly Office, so if you come into the office, please bring your pooch for a visit
- We do really care about our team’s well-being so we give everyone a wellness allowance of £20 per month to spend on things that will improve their wellness like fitness classes, meditation apps and more.
- Access to Counselling with Spill
Holiday allowance that increases over time
Extra Day off for your Birthday
Christmas Shutdown (over and above your holiday entitlement)
Digital Nomad (work anywhere in the world for up to a month a year - subject to restrictions in other countries)
Flexible hybrid / remote working - We’re not a 9-5. No one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
Employee Referral scheme (refer someone to work with us and you'll be eligible for a £1k referral bonus - subject to conditions)
GCI (Green Commute Initiative) Bike Scheme
Monthly Social Events: company lunches, social nights/day events, escape rooms, bowling etc...
PLATF9RM Membership Perks
🫂 Inclusion & Belonging
We’re committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace. We aim to inspire and support our talents and clients through open, honest discussions, clear actions.
💶 The Package
Attractive salary DOE. Profit is also shared from any leads you may bring to ASquared.
To all recruitment agencies: ASquared does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by Head of People & Culture. Please do not forward CVs to our hiring managers, employees or any other company location. Any engagement with employees or provision of CVs to employees within ASquared where you have not engaged with the Head of People & Culture will be considered speculative and ASquared will not be responsible for any fees related to CVs received in this unsolicited manner.